• Register Today It's free!

97 Ranger A/C blows warm air

rickatom

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sportrak
Just recently, my engine was having starting problems. I think I fixed it with a new fuel line filter. But I tried to run my A/C and it is blowing warm air. I can move the control to hot and hot air comes out. But I move it back to cold and warm air is there. I tried running the MAX A/C and cool air came out but not cold.

I was working great this past summer. Is it just time to have it serviced?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update on problem

I took it to local garage. Seems one of the stem valves had a slow leak in it causing the loss of freon. Got the call the truck had been fixed. cost, @78.00 to check for problem and refill freon.

another problem update

I went to pick up the truck from the shop. Turned on the A/C and it seemed to be ok. As I was almost home, it started blowing hot air again, so I brought it back to the shop. Mechanic found out the 4way heat exchanger was not working. As a matter of fact it was leaking , like it was cracked. It is made of black plastic. A new one had to be ordered and should be in today. I hope this fixes this problem.

...these problems are usually related to vacuum lines or the blend door....i think this is the first i heard of the heat exchanger but :thumbsup: to the guy who found the problem...:D

another update

Called the garage to check on the truck. What has been found, is the blend door mechanism has broken. Ford wants including labor @ 500.00 to fix this.
Is there somewhere else I can get this part and work on it myself? This worked fine all summer and now it decides to break on me!!!
I called salvage yard to see what they had...awaiting a return call.

Called the garage to check on the truck. What has been found, is the blend door mechanism has broken. Ford wants including labor @ 500.00 to fix this.
Is there somewhere else I can get this part and work on it myself? This worked fine all summer and now it decides to break on me!!!

I don't know where you took this truck, but they should have checked the blend door as one of the first checks, this is a very common problem on Exporer/Rangers. If the door is broken, requires reomving the dash to access. If it's just the motor that can be done thru the glove box opening.

There is probably a sticky about this repair somewhere on this site, some repair the door, the proper method is to replace the EVAP case with the upgraded, stronger parts.

Back