97' Ranger AC compressor problem

Daversten

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Ranger
Hey folks,

First time poster here, hopefully I do things right.

I am currently driving a 97' Ford Ranger V6. I've been having some AC problems lately and I'm hoping to find some things to look into.

Early this Summer the compressor was cycling pretty heavily and I took that as a sign of needing to be charged. I dropped it off at a local shop one day before work and had that done. I assumed that would fix the problem however now whenever I turn the AC on to the max AC setting the air blows cold as it should for roughly 5 minutes into the drive and then the compressor shuts off and doesn't come back on until I finish the trip or turn it to the off position for ~10 minutes. Also, any other setting whether its just blowing normal air it blows heat no matter the position of the cool/heat knob.

Any ideas on things I can check into myself? I'm trying to use this as a learning experience for myself as best as possible.

Thanks

did you also replae the drier can and the orifice tube?It sounds to me like there is an obstruction that is taking time to build up pressure, then when it sits, the pressure abates, the obstruction backs off, then it works again...

It might be freezing up. Sounds like the charge level is still wrong. Or you may have a bad pressure sensor.

Check or replace the cycle switch I had one drive me crazy thinking it was a bad compressor there is a cylcle and a pressure i would check them or just replace them both

Tom

Back