97 Ranger EV conversion | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Ranger EV conversion

It is our daily commuter to town. Last summer we put over 2500 miles on it just running errands. Then we put it away for the winter. This spring we already have more than 300 miles on it. It is really fun to drive and people are very interested in it. Have not had a single problem with it.

Hi all,

I know this thread is somewhat defunct, but in case anyone is still here: My dad and I are also doing a 1997 Ranger Conversion. 96V with deep-cycle lead acid batteries, and batteries in a welded rack underneath the bed so the bed can still be used (we put a hinge on the bed so it can be lifted easily). I'd be happy to post some pics once we're done. However, we've run into an issue that the owner of this thread apparently also had with the speedometer, and hopefully someone (maybe even Jim Martin?) can offer some advice.

The Vehicle Speed Sensor is supposed to connect to the Powertrain Control Module. However, when we removed the engine, we also removed the PCM 104-pin harness (we still have the module itself). Does anyone know if it is possible to reconnect the necessary pins, and if so, would the PCM need a source of power? Or doe the wires from the VSS also have to pass through some other circuitry to make it work?

Appreciate any input we get!

I'm not sure about the Ranger, but the Aerostar has a PSOM module for differential mounted speed sensors. Those sensors are different than a VSS. They are basically a magnet with a coil around it. The inside of the differential has a small gear with teeth which cause the magnetic field to expand & collapse near the tip of the sensor. A VSS behaves like a small generator. The output voltage increases with speed. Older design speedometers had a cable going directly into the speed sensor, and the speedometer. Everything was mechanical.

Getting back to your question. The PCM always requires 12 volts DC to work. Check a schematic diagram to see the color codes of the wiring for the speedometer, the speed sensor, and the PCM.

Instead of using heavy lead acid batteries, look into using high capacity lithium ion batteries. They cost a lot more, but you will save on space, weight, and get increased performance & mileage.

Back