97 Ranger squeak, not belt or pulleys | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Ranger squeak, not belt or pulleys

subyluke

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ranger
Hello, I'm a new member here... it looks like I've found the right place for my Ford questions.

Anyway, I have a 97 Ranger w/3.0 engine... the serpentine belt squeaks a LOT. I replaced the belt, and the tensioner pulley.... and eliminated the idler pulley by slightly re-routing the belt.

It appears that the belt is riding too far forward on the tensioner pulley, which is actually causing the belt to squeak as it rubs a little on the front flange of the water pump pulley! By forcing (with a big stick) the bottom of the tensioner upward (slightly tilting the pulley) the belt rides in the middle of the tensioner, and the noise goes away.

Could the problem be the tensioner itself? I mean, I really have got to almost force it to get the belt to ride correctly.... there's no discernible play in the tensioner.

Water pump has no play and is quiet.

For now I'm just living with it, carrying a spare belt and a 15 mm wrench at all times.

Thanks for your help.

Bob
Canton, NY

Welcome to Explorer Forum! It could also be a warped pully making the belt shift.

Back