97 ranger transmission swap

sypher9

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ranger xlt
Hey Guys!

I'm hoping someone here may be able to answer my questions. First about my truck I have a 97 ranger 4.0L 4x4 automatic extended cab. I've been having some problems with the transmission. I've read the 5r55e valve body rebuild diary and I ordered a new valve body from central valve bodies and installed it about a year and a half ago. Unfortunately I think its to little to late. The transmission has been getting steadily worse; and I think at this point I would just like to replace it. I know a rebuild would be the ideal option; but I don't really want to put that much money into the truck. I was hoping instead to install a used transmission. I've been doing some research and was able to locate several threads where people had installed a transmission from a newer truck. The thread I found though was installing a transmission from a 2004 ranger into a 1998.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/917894-swap-4wd-5r55e-tranny-from-2001-to-1998-ranger-done.html

I've been looking over the sensors on the transmission and I think this would be possible in my truck as well. I initially thought it wouldn't work since they removed the vss sensor for the 98 model; but after research it looks like that sensor is located on the transfer case of my truck and not the transmission, so I don't think it will be an issue. The other sensors and hookups appear to be the same. After looking through everything I'm not finding anything indicating this wouldn't work. Is anyone here able to confirm my suspicions regarding this? Finding a used transmission at a junk yard for this year seems to be difficult, so if I could use a transmission out of a newer truck that has lower miles that would be great. Thanks for everyones help!

Bump. Anyone have any insight on this? I was also able to locate this thread which seems to support my thoughts that I could possibly use a newer 5r55e.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350229

I just want to be sure all of the sensors will hook up and be compatible. I know the newer transmission will have an extra sensor that isn't used I'm not sure if my truck has an overdrive drum sensor; but I believe ford released a tsb that elimanates that anyways so it shouldn't be an issue. Any thoughts are appreciated!

I've been continuing to do research on this and so far it looks like it would be compatible so far as I can tell. I found this picture in a different thread that shows the sensors and locations.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77907&d=1395019503

It looks like a newer 5r55e would be compatible. It looks like there are 3 plugs that would be used in my application. The main harness plug, dtr sensor, and oss sensor. So far as I can tell these are the same on my 97 transmission. I've been searching parts websites online and the sensors appear to be the same. The new transmission would just have the extra iss sensor which wouldn't be used in my application. Is anyone able to verify if the sensors are the same in the newer 5r55e transmissions? Calling around I haven't been able to find a used transmission for my year; but I have been able to locate a 5r55e from a '05 ranger that I think would work. Before spending the money though I'd like to verify the sensors are the same.

Back