97 Ranger with a manual transmission problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Ranger with a manual transmission problem.

beechnuts

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatoon SK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ranger xlt
hi
just joined the forum, have a couple of questions on my 1997 ranger trans, Im on my second trans in my truck, 4.0 4x4 5spd. the first one i blew o/d out of it, so i had a new one installed with a new clutch and slave cylinder 4 months ago now, about 3 weeks ago its become very difficult to shift, really bad when going from reverse to first, sometimes have to turn the truck off just to get it into first gear, also when in first gear sitting at a dead stop it won't come out of first gear and will take off with the clutch engaged. I then but a new slave cylinder and clutch in last week and still does the same thing, anyone know what the problem may be, any help is greatly appreciated
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome beech

The Rangers are the hardest to bleed. You need to use a vacuum bleeder to bleed out the air in the system.

Al, not doubting you, but is there something different between Rangers and a 1st gen Explorer? I always thought they were identical...

Back