97 SOHC Hydraulic Tensioner Failure? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 SOHC Hydraulic Tensioner Failure?

Is the problem that the tensioner is stuck in the retracted position or is the problem that the cassette was noisy and still noisy after replacing the tensioner?
Replacing the tensioner will not resolve the noise from a broken cassette guide. To determine if the cassette guide is broken you can pull the valve cover and inspect or pull the oil pan and check for pieces of plastic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, its stuck in the retracted position. The cassette looks good... A friend installed new 2 weeks ago. Thanks for your quick answer!

Yes, i push the tensiones by hand all the way and didn't get stuck in. Seen yo be working good. The kit i install is CICUSA. I buy in a local auto parts.

Interesting problem. I wonder if there is an oil restriction issue keeping pressure from reaching the head or tensioner. I wonder how that oil passage could be checked or tested?

Yes..thats what im thinking , oil pressure. My truck have 240k..rebuild the motor like 2 years ago, maybe the oil pump is not sending the rigth pressure!?

Back