• Register Today It's free!

97 SOHC Intermittent No start

DaleG

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport 4X4
I've recently been having an intermittent problem with my 97 SOHC. About once a week it doesn't want to start. The starter and engine turn but it never fires over. Usually after about the 5th try it will start and runs perfectly normal (no miss and no stalling) until the next occurance. I searched and found that the fuel pump relay could be causing this so I replaced it but no help. Also during this condition I checked for fuel pressure at the rail and fuel shot out pretty good (dont have a pressure guage), so I dont think its a fuel pressure problem. Not sure how or what to check for next. Anyone had this problem or could offer advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dale

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ditto here, but with a 1995 4.0L Ranger.

well.. under normal conditions, two things are needed to make a fire.. fuel and some igniter... sounds like u checked the fuel part, now maybe try to ignition (spark plugs, wires, etc...)

DaleG said:
I've recently been having an intermittent problem with my 97 SOHC. About once a week it doesn't want to start. The starter and engine turn but it never fires over. Usually after about the 5th try it will start and runs perfectly normal (no miss and no stalling) until the next occurance. I searched and found that the fuel pump relay could be causing this so I replaced it but no help. Also during this condition I checked for fuel pressure at the rail and fuel shot out pretty good (dont have a pressure guage), so I dont think its a fuel pressure problem. Not sure how or what to check for next. Anyone had this problem or could offer advice, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dale

I had the same problem when I bought my 99 SOHC (used) about two years ago. Whenever the temperature outside would get colder and/or humid, the engine would turn, but would not fire. After doing some reading, it was suggested to clean or replace the IAC valve (part located under the plastic "sohc" engine cover). I removed the cover, unscrewed the valve and cleaned the inside with a clean rag and acetone (I actually poured acetone inside the valve, shook it and it dissolved quite a lot of carbon - you may want to use something else, but it worked for me quite well). After cleaning all accesible elements and drying the inside of the valve with compressed air, I've put the valve to the same position it was in initially (closed) and reinstalled it. The truck never had problems starting again afterwards, even though it still had worn spark plugs, old plug wires, etc in it (that were changed later on for performance ones). Good luck, it should take you about 15 minutes to do, and you may want to reset the CPU once you're done by unplugging the battery for 10-15 minutes, and letting the truck re-learn the idling and your personal driving for possibly better results.

Thanks for the replies. I never thought that the IAC could cause a no start condition but I guess it makes sense. I've always made a point to clean it during every oil change because of things I've read on here. I guess its time to just go ahead and replace it to see if it helps.

Thanks again.

Same problem here a couple of years ago. New IAC fixed it.

Joe

Thanks for the advice so far. Well yesterday I went ahead and replaced the IAC, but again today I had the same problem of the truck not wanting to fire over. It did on about the 3rd try, but I still dont trust it afraid its gonna leave me stranded. Open to other suggestions.

Thanx

Crankshaft Position Sensor, $20.

Possible ICM? These kinds of things can be so difficult. You checked the first two things I would have....I'd maybe have added fuel filter..... though I doubt that's with any high probability of involvement.

DaleG said:
Well yesterday I went ahead and replaced the IAC, but again today I had the same problem of the truck not wanting to fire over.
Where did you get the IAC, Ford or aftermarket? I've heard people having problems with some aftermarket parts.

Just a thought! :D

witchdoctor said:
Crankshaft Position Sensor, $20.
Where is it located ?? Is it easy to get to ??

it is located at the front of the motor, on the bottom. it is very easy to get to, only two bolts.

I reseated the connection and tapped on mine and I have not had another problem sense, been about 3 months now.
Daleg

same truck here, same problem, finally took it to the dealership, they had it for 3 days, of course it started everyday for them. changed some ignition module for $300+, and it now starts. Yeah I know, dealership hoses you, but so do taxi's every morning.

Back