97 SOHC into 00 OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 SOHC into 00 OHV

Stang65fst

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer
So I have 2 sports, 97 with SOHC and a blown trans, terribly rusted body and a 00 with a blown OHV.

I have swapped the SOHC into the 00 along with 00 engine wiring harness, PCM, intake.

I am in the final throws of getting this together and I am lost as to where the vacuum line run.

Secondly, I used the 97 exhaust and trans harness in the 00 and have it all plugged in. I have located 3 of the 4 O2 sensor plugs but I am only coming up with 3 the 2 secondaries at the back of the transmission and the primary on the passenger side. The 97 had 2 O2 plugs on the engine harness but the 00 engine harness only has provisions for 1 primary O2. Ideas?

some differences

This link identifies the vacuum connections for a 2000 SOHC V6: Intake manifold vacuum lines

Your 1997 SOHC V6 has a variable intake system (VIS)
VIS.jpg

This link discusses the differences between the 2000 and the 1997 intake systems: VIS Conversion
The stock 2000 wiring and PCM does not support VIS. The pin on the PCM for the 1997 VIS control is used for the fuel cap off indicator on the instrument panel for the 2000 SOHC and not used at all for the 2000 OHV. Also, the OHV PCM is probably not programmed for VIS or knock sensor retard. Your OHV wiring harness probably doesn't have the breakout or connector for the knock sensor.

I don't remember if the 2000 PCM synchronizer input is compatible with the 1997 camshaft position sensor output. Some were hall effect sensors and some were variable reluctor sensors.

According to the 2000 OHV wiring diagrams there are three O2 sensors: #11 , #21 , #12 . The convention is usually bank # then sensor #. So #11 is bank 1 (passenger side) precat. #21 is bank 2 (driver side) precat. #12 probably means bank 1 & 2 combined post cat but I'm just guessing. My 2000 SOHC has a precat and postcat O2 sensor for both banks but your PCM probably is not programmed for that.

Don't expect to get the full SOHC performance using the PCM with the stock OHV program. There may be other electrical differences I haven't mentioned.

I did go to the salvage yard and got the 2000 intake, PCM, and engine wiring harness which are all on the 97 motor.

That is great info. Ought to be huge help.

electrical problems

Your electrical problems will be more challenging than the engine swap. The 2000 SOHC PCM from the salvage yard will be programmed for a set of PATS keys that you probably don't have. There may be other PATS related components that have to match the PCM. The PCM will disable the fuel injectors until all PATS components are compatible. With the 2000 OHV PCM you would have been able to at least start the engine.

Back