• Register Today It's free!

'97 Sport 5.5" Suspension Lift

felsmann

Reaction score
City, State
HB, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Sport
Finally!!! I just picked up my truck from the shop last week. I got a custom lift put on, based on the Ranger/Superlift kit.

The front is all the bracketry you see on all IFS lifts, including the torsion bars. Because mine is a '97 they had to do some extra work on my torsion bar mounts. Looking at the trailmaster pictures, it looks very similar, the brackets all seem to be the same, and the CV angles seem like stock as well.

The rear lift was achieved by a Spring Over axle conversion. Looks really clean. I assume that the rear probably got 6", but my explorer was originaly much lower in the rear than the fron, so it actually makes up for the sag.

4 Rancho RS 9000's accompany the lift, making the ride as smooth or as harsh as I want it to be. They are really easy to adjust.

The only thing I still have to work on, and that anyone with the transfer case that has the AUTO feature has to keep in mind when doing a suspension lift, is the front end driveline.

Apparently this shaft runs on a constant velocity coupler (or something like that) which can only run at a certain angle, so once you lift your truck, this angle changes and causes it to bind. This is the same problem that the new Chevy's have as well when being lifted. The solution is to go to a driveline shop and have then end changed on the shaft for the double U-joint kind.

fe372c07.jpg

[Edited by Ray Lobato on 06-19-2000 at 05:49 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations Juan!

Can't wait to see the lift! Let's see a picture! Tried the link, but no picture.
Rick

No photo listed in your album. Try again :)

Try it now!!

Juan, GREAT!

Give us the skinny now... how long did they have to keep your vehicle, how much $$$$ did it cost, etc!

It was the place I have mentioned in the threads in the past. Custom Motorsports in Riverside, CA.(909) 549-1740 Ben Childers is the contact. They kept it for almost 2 weeks. A lot of custom work had to be done since it was a '97 not a '98+ I was asked not to disclose how much I paid since they are going to have to charge more in the future for trucks like mine. So, be looking at about almost $3,000. However, 98+ are probably around $2,100.

Keep in mind that the AWD systems have to take it to a drive line shop and spend another $250 changing the end on the shaft. That is my next step. Then with some more $$ 33x10.5 tires.

Hey Juan,
It looks like you could put 35's on your truck now. :D
When you go get the new treads, maybe ask them if you can try 35's. :D

:eek:WOW:eek: Juan, that looks awesome:cool: I can't wait to see it wheel NOW!

Oh my god that is the best looking explorer I have ever seen. Its exactly what I have dreamed about. Does anyone think it would be possible to do a front end conversion with either a solid axle or IFS to make my 2wd a 4wd. I guess this probablly isn't realistic since nobody has really ever tried. Might be time to sell the 2wd and get a 4x4. I'm sick of getting stuck. I am amazed at how much clearance for larger tires you'll get felsman. That is what I am looking for so then I can still have brush guards,cause a body lift won't allow me to do that. PLEASE keep posting picks.

Brett

It is so obvious I have to get larger tires!! I need to find a good deal though, I dont't want to spend $550!!!

[Edited by felsmann on 06-20-2000 at 08:21 AM]

Looks Great! So, now for the big question...

The front suspension is suposedly the same from 95-97, correct? Could this place in Riverside make the same mods on a 95 sport 4x4 2dr?

Yes, they could, it would be just like mine. But like I said before, you are looking at close to $3,000 plus the new drive line for the front. I have my front shaft at a shop now waiting for a quote on modifying it. I wonder what TC did for his. Does anyone know?

Looking good Juan! :D We'll have to get together at T-haven for a run in the sun! My Explorer should be done in 2 or 3 weeks. It would be great to get together with you, Bill and anyone else who would like to go out and play in the dirt!

I'm glad you went ahead with this instead of waiting for the "phantom" lift!

Any more pics yet felsmann?? I am so excited to see your rig with some hogs on it! BEAUTIFUL! :eek:

Jason

Pictures!!

Alright, so I got off my lazy ass and took some pictures:

fe372bfd.jpg

Spring over conversion
fe372bf5.jpg

Front Drop Brackets, and steering conversion
fe372c00.jpg

fe372c01.jpg

Drop bracket, for the rear part of lower arm. (no shaft yet)
fe372c04.jpg

T-bar
fe372bf0.gif

fe372bf1.jpg

fe372bf2.jpg

fe372bf9.jpg

Well I hope these are usefull for those of you planning on converting the Ranger kits, and those with 95-97 models.

Looks really nice, I like it alot. Good luck with it.

Wow!!!

Spectacular! Plenty of clearance for those tires! Holy Cow!
Juan- Did they go with the stock mounting points/brackets on the shocks? If so, what are the part numbers for the shocks?
Rick

Hey Juan!

One more question for you.
What are the specs on your new wheels? What is the backspacing? Any rubbing on the sway bar?
Thanks,
Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Rick, too bad you are moving away, we never did our local run.

The shock mounts are stock, I think they just fliped them. I don't know the # on the shocks, but I may be able to find out.

The wheels are 15x8 with 19mm inset, so actually I get a wider stand than with my old stock rims.

Back