'97 third brake light conversion to LED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 third brake light conversion to LED

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
some time ago I recall reading a post about using salvage yard (Oldsmobile Silhouette?) LED HMSL bulbs to convert the troublesome '97 ballast-style light to LED's.

has anyone here used a parts store accessory LED strip to do the same thing? I don't see why this wouldn't work. are the wires to the wires going to the ballast light carrying 12 volts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Koda I used a waterproof strip from superbrightleds.com, ships for less than fifteen bucks.

Koda I used a waterproof strip from superbrightleds.com, ships for less than fifteen bucks.

I was looking for a strip on-line last night. there are plenty to be found, but most/all seem to be rope or flex style, I wasn't sure if that was what I should be looking at. I was concerned these might not be bright enough. is that what you used? I did see superbrightleds.com listed on a Google search. I also saw a conversion kit listed for about $50, which uses your own lens/housing, but I don't want to spend that much on this fix.

I used the waterproof flexible 12V red self adhesive.

I did this on my '97 a couple of months ago; bought one of the on-line kits mainly to get the step by step instructions, connectors and exact fit LEDs. The LEDs were white and the whole thing works great; took me about three hours over two days - most time was involved with separating the two parts of the lens and cleaning it up before regluing. I went ahead and riveted the trim piece back together and back on the vehicle instead of using the screws provided. You have to drill out several rivets in two sizes; larger ones hold the trim to the vehicle; smaller ones hold the two parts of the trim that enclose the lens together.

And yes, you have 12V going into the ballast; you remove the ballast completely from the circuit and hook the LEDs directly to the 12V leads. Good luck.

I did this on my '97 a couple of months ago; bought one of the on-line kits mainly to get the step by step instructions, connectors and exact fit LEDs. The LEDs were white and the whole thing works great; took me about three hours over two days - most time was involved with separating the two parts of the lens and cleaning it up before regluing. I went ahead and riveted the trim piece back together and back on the vehicle instead of using the screws provided. You have to drill out several rivets in two sizes; larger ones hold the trim to the vehicle; smaller ones hold the two parts of the trim that enclose the lens together.

And yes, you have 12V going into the ballast; you remove the ballast completely from the circuit and hook the LEDs directly to the 12V leads. Good luck.

thanks. from my research and from info offered here, I think I'm going to buy a red 19" flexible strip for around $12-$13. I have everything else I need to do the job. I'm sure the most time consuming part will be cleaning the old glue off the lens & housing.

It will be interesting to hear how the red LEDs work out.

One of the tips in the instructions was to heat up the lens in the oven to soften up the adhesive and make it come apart better. I did that, and it was still a bear getting the two halves apart. They say to be very patient and careful to avoid cracking either the lens or the body. Good luck!

Just FYI, Dorman makes a drop in replacement with LEDs for around $80 from Amazon, if you don't want to mess with splitting the housing, or if you break yours.

It will be interesting to hear how the red LEDs work out.

One of the tips in the instructions was to heat up the lens in the oven to soften up the adhesive and make it come apart better. I did that, and it was still a bear getting the two halves apart. They say to be very patient and careful to avoid cracking either the lens or the body. Good luck!

I was thinking the white LED's would be brighter than the red and would show up better, but according to the link provided by 2TimingTom the red light actually passes through the red lens better. so that's why I decided to go with red. there's probably not that big of a difference though. what oven temp did the instructions recommend? I was thinking not more that about 200F for about 10 mins.

I know red works (as seen in my swap). White/clear will probably work just well. I had the same thought process as you but that link swayed me.

yeah, it's a wave length thing apparently, so red it is.

I've tried running white LEDs behind colored lenses and it doesn't work very well. Stick with the red LEDs for red lenses.

what over temp did the instructions recommend? I was thinking not more that about 200F for about 10 mins.

Unfortunately, I don't still have/can't find the instructions. Best I remember, it was 200 degrees for 15/20 minutes. I know it was too hot to handle comfortably right out of the oven w/o some rags/gloves. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update:

I began my fluorescent to LED HMSL conversion today. Getting the old light off and the ballast out went smoothly, thanks in no small part to the others who have proceeded me in this exercise.

Getting th lens off the housing wasn't too bad. 200 degree oven for 20 mins and some prying. I managed to break off a little metal piece that was melt-welded to the back of the light housing, but I don't know if it's necessary for it to be there. It doesn't seem to serve a purpose, but if I discover it's needed I guess I can figure out a way to re-attach it. As I expected, getting that brown glue off the lens and housing was the worst part of the job, taking about a hour and a half to get 98% of the glue off (and one stab wound to my thumb). I then polished the lens, which turned out very well. Tomorrow I'll order the LED strip from superbrightleds.com. I'm going to call them, because there are too many choices as far as relative intensity, waterproof, self adhesive, beam angle, lumens, etc. I'll see what they recommend. I'm looking forward to completing this job and seeing the light work again. Thanks too all who have helped. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

just got off the phone with superbrightleds.com. I bought WFLS-R30-DI 50cm[19.7in] Red, weatherproof, self adhesive for $9.95 on their recommendation. these can also be cut with scissors every third bulb to get the width I want (about 16").

Back