'97 V/8 4x4 explorer..question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 V/8 4x4 explorer..question

Scoggy

Reaction score
Hi, 'newbie' here..building a '38 Chev coupe with small block power, and t 400, and want to put '97 Explorer as rear, but, can't seem to find them, here in Canada, and am 'told' that the posi 8.8 with rear discs, only came on v/8 equipped models of explorer in '97! Did other models of Ford products have the same rear? Motor and trans were already in car when I bought it..so..sorry, I would have gone .FORD! I need 60 inches between 'faces' inside, of backing plates..evrything else..I can hopefully..'imagineer'.
Thanks
Syd:scratch::scratch::scratch:

All V8s came with a limited slip 3.73 rear end, and all explorers had an 8.8. Rear disks are standard on second gen explorers.

To find an explorer with a limited slip rear end, just look at the door tag. Under axle, there will be a code like D4. If the axle code is preceded by a D, then it is a limited slip rear end.

D4 is a limited slip 3.73 rear end
D2 is a limited slip 4.10 rear end

Axle codes preceded by a 4 are standard open differentials.

95 and up came with a 8.8 31 splined rear axle with disk brakes. all sports had the same thing, but with 4.10's in them

as for not finding them, i have two parts trucks that have 3.73 8.8 disk rears in them

Back