97 V8 Engine Ground Location - Little Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 V8 Engine Ground Location - Little Help

Cali' Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0
Hey Guys-
Been a while since I've posted on the forums here. As of last time, I had just had my engine replaced because of a debacle by a head shop. Well, I'm still having issues from that whole fiasco.

So, the quick question is: Does anybody know or have an image of where the Main Engine Ground Strap goes (the one that comes off the Battery Negative terminal and then goes to the engine)? This is on a '97 V8 Explorer (it looks like '96 may be in a different location). As of right now, the cable looks to be just long enough to make it just past the crank pulley.

Any help is greatly appreciated as always.

A little Background:
So, while tracing a charging issues I've had with heavy loads on my charging system, I found that I was getting about a 2 volt difference between alternator voltage and battery voltage (Brand New Battery, Brand New Alternator). Further investigation led me to the Battery ground. Between the positive battery terminal and the Radiator or Engine block, I get matching voltage to the alternator, but between the positive and negative on the battery, I'm getting about 2 volts less. Problem found, right? Wrong!

While removing the ground strop, I got to the bottom of the engine where I was tracing the Ground Strap. I see the Ground strap going up between the block and the Crank Sensor Gear/Pulley. What a weird place for a ground strap, how am I going to get that out? It doesn't even seem like there's a bolt there.

A couple of light tugs and "Pop", the ground strap comes out. It looks like the ground strap must have just been left there and made its way against the block. One side of the cable has some minor rubbing from the crank (nothing major). I guess these means that for the last 2 years, I have been using all the little mini-grounds on my main ground cable for most of the grounding job on my X. Just great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it goes to the bottom portion of the front of the V8 engine, right around the oil pan
I have pictures, let me dig them up

410-
Are you talking about the pictures located at the following post:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1717285&postcount=2

If so, that's why I say your setup is a bit different then mine. My ground cable is not wrapped in the conduit, but taped to the side of that conduit. With how it is taped and located, it looks like I can probably reach it about 6 inches to either side of the crank pulley, which is what makes its current location so odd. there's no bolts there.

I guess I could just detach the cable from the tape and attach it to one of the accessory brackets bolts. Considering it has been running strictly off the engine to frame to body to battery ground straps for everything, I'm sure just attaching it directly to the engine should be enough to resolve my issue.

Not sure if it will help but I'll give it a try. According to my Haynes manual the negative battery cable is fastened to the inner fenderwell. If you are leaning in over the headlight to the left you will see the mounting point for the radiator then moving away from the radiator there is a strap that holds up the wiring harness next is the battery cable mounting point. The other end of the battery cable goes to either the starter motor lower retaining bolt, the engine block or the frame rail depending on the model year of the vehicle. Hopefully, it is a start for you.

A Wise Guy-
Thanks for that. I actually know where you are talking about, and have looked at the Haynes manual, but none of those locations correspond to where the end of my ground cable is sitting. There is literally nothing obvious that I can see near where the ground cable end is located where I could attach it to the engine (its about 2' to short to attach to the starter retaining bolt).

Ahh well, worst case, I'll cut the cable off the positive battery terminal its attached to and find a good, solid engine bolt to mount it to and call it done. It doesn't sound like there's really a "right" or "Wrong' place to mount it (other than dangling near the engine like it is now, *lol*).

Thanks guys.

I am not sure about every Ford V8, but all of the small blocks I have seen have a threaded boss on the right front of the block. Many older engines use that for a lower alternator bracket mounting point. Later engines have nothing there, or maybe a simple bracket/strap going down to hold the trans lines. There will also be a simple ground strap from the block to the body, that is not a main ground for the alternator or starter.

There should be a large ground strap leading directly from the battery negative post to the engine block. Those block bolts are usually large near to 5/8" in size. The one I mentioned is typically very short, say 3/4" long.

Adding more grounds is a very good idea, either fix the one you have or add another. Regards,

Well, I ended up using the bolt on the strap which holds the starter positive cable to hook the ground to. After hooking up the ground to that strap, my charging/power issues appear to have disappeared. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things stay that way, haha.

Nice work! I was going to say, it really doesnt matter. As long as your - batter post is attached to the engine block, the frame, and the body with a good connection and well sized cable, you should be golden.

Some Fords have a - cable leading right to one of the starter bolts in addition to the others, I presume this is because the trans bellhousing is aluminum or magnesium and wont provide a ground for the starter? I am not sure...

On mine it was on one of the 2 studs/bolts in the bottom of the timing cover. Don/Jamie are right, it doesn't matter where on the block you put it, as long as you have a good connection to the block. Mine is to the coil chair now because I forgot the ground had to be where it was and I used all allen head bolts when I rebuilt my motor.

Back