97 V8 Explorer Build Up, eventually SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 V8 Explorer Build Up, eventually SAS

Well my Brother just got a smokin!! deal on 97 V8 4dr explorer. He doesnt have a username here yet since doesnt have much access to inet, So i will be posting this for him as he goes. Its light green, with grey leather, interior kinda worn but body is in good shape and has sunroof
1st plans are, custom exhaust, likley 2in body lift, torsion lift and warrior shackles, will run 33s for now. Also manual t-case swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

000_0052.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drum brakes?

no, he just got started, that is from a fullsize, so hasnt changed it yet.

After seeing the video he sent to you on your phone in Moab driving your B2, this does not surprise me to see it flipped over. Hopefully everyone was ok, but damn that is funny......:D

:roll: looks like someone just joined the roll-over posse!! :roll:

if no one was hurt, it was probably scary fun!!! hopefully no one was hurt though ;)

Yea no one was hurt.
update, he has all front stock stuff out
rearend upgrading to disk brakes and try to decide on gearing might be stock gears and atlas 5.1 or a 1356 and 5.13s in the axles, this willl be the most expensive decision on the build. I vote Atlas!

Went by my brothers shop tonight snapped a few more photos and saw new purchase for today.
100_2425.jpg

100_2426.jpg

100_2427.jpg

The decision was made on the front axle that we did not like the idea of spaceing out coil bucket towers for wide axle swap, and currently on dana 44 front wide axle we have is from 79 Model F150 with cast Wedges, so that wasnt going to work very well. He had 2 candiates in mind but today scored sweet deal on whole truck assume it doesnt run?? but its 76F150 4x4, so has disc brakes and weld on wedges, which means coil bucket towers will not be spaced out and wedges can be moved in on the axle.This whole truck with worn 33s was nice $300 not bad I thought can get over $100 back in scrap weight and still keep rearend and bunch of odd ball stuff.
---The big decision at this time is what steering box setup to run, anyone with v8swap put your 2cents in here. This will be coil swap, so bucket towers will be kinda in the way.
Gen 1 explorer box doesnt look like it will fit due to oilfilter location, but could be relocated?? has anyone done this??? or has F150 outside frame box, either way frame will get braced where box goes and coil bucket towers.
Also using 8.8 stock rear disk brakes on this fullsize axle with little mods, getting rotors drilled to correct pattern.

Back