'97 V8's Manual 4406 swap..finally | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 V8's Manual 4406 swap..finally

Well Finally my parts are coming in for my t-case swap. My t-case will be here Wednesday. My driveshafts and gas tank on Monday. Friday i will begin the swap. Hopefully it will be done within the day.

I did buy a shift linkage from a 97 f-150. Now i just have to figure out where to put it becuase of the center console interferance.

As V8boatbuilders thread indicated, i bought a rear driveshaft froma 97 Expedition, and front froma 97 f-150. THe wrecking yard was kind enough to include new u-joints on the shafts. The gas tank is out of a 97 sport.
The transfer case is out of a 1997 f-150. Its a 4406 manual with a speedo hole for the VSS thankfully.

Since i'll have the t-case out, im going to go ahead and replace the transmission mount bushing with a polyurethane mount. Does daystar make one for the 4r70w?

My only concern is how im going to get the center console out. Im going to search around on the forum to see how i can remove it. If you have any suggestion on the shift linkage set up, im all ears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Time to update this thread. I finally have all my parts foir the shift linkage. The tranny wiring harness is a bit in the way, so that needs to be moved out of the way. All i did was bend the mount and made sure no wires were bieng stretched out or anything. Whent to install the linkage and to my dismay one of the mounting holes is off 1/4 of an inch, so i need to reem it out.

Now as for the gas tank mount, it rubs on the case and has begun to wear at the case. Its wearing down one of the fins on the case. I found my camera so clearer pics will come.

An update in the milage department on a recent 20 mile trip at 70 mph i got 18.1 mpg. Yeah believe it or not folks. I yelled yes at the pump out load and a lady in a pruis next to me asked me why am i soo happy. I said, i got 18 mpg!!! She was like "oh ok".

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

well I was tired of having crappy range with the lil gas tank so I decided to try and fit my stocker in the with the electric 4406 and with a lil trimming and a 5lb hammer it worked its tight, really tight you would have to drop the tank to take the shift motor off but its in there. I will be figuring something out for a skid plate shortly too.

Here are some much needed updated pics.

I installed the shift linkage. Now for us mountaineer explorers, there will need to be some modification to your wiring harness that is bolted to your tranny just behind the tranny shifter. All you have to do is cut the first mounting hole part of the bracket, and mount the 2nd hole in the first hole. Essentially, you are moving your harness forward one bolt. There is plenty of space to do this.

The center console will need to be removed. I found that if you disconnect the battery for while, you will NOT lose your rear speakers and what not. Now once the console is removed, you will have to cut carpet, to get to the acces panel of where a manula explorer would have the shifter. There are, hell i cant remember how many bolts there are, but you will need to remove them. THe two bolts at the rear of the panel didnt want to come out, so i just bent the panel back.

I installed the lower parts of the linkage, then from underneath, i took a mental note of where i need to cut in the hump. I cut and mounted the stick. I closed up the hole with some shower pvc on top, and on the bottom. Then i laid the carpet back on.

The shifter boot does need to be trimmed some. I glued the shifter boot on becuase i had a flight to go to in a couple of hours, and didnt have time to bolt it down. Nonetheless it works.

I took her on a run behind k-mart in 4-lo (before i installed the shifter) and in 4 lo she does amazing. Pulls like a biatch. When you put her in drive or reverse, make sure you have your foot on the brakes hard or she will lunge forward.

ignore the times. Ive give up on the ime date thing on my camera.

Here are the pics

Attachments

• trip 04.22.06 073.jpg
    trip 04.22.06 073.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 779
  • trip 04.22.06 074.jpg
    trip 04.22.06 074.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 757
  • trip 04.22.06 077.jpg
    trip 04.22.06 077.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 40,156
  • trip 04.22.06 078.jpg
    trip 04.22.06 078.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 774

Does your leg hit that sucker when driving?
Is the shift linkage smooth?

Did you get your speedo issue resolved?

I am picking up a 2001 F-150 manual T case later this week along with the "other " t case I need for the speedo sender I believe....

All I need now is the sport fuel tank and a weekend

410Fortune said:
Does your leg hit that sucker when driving?
Is the shift linkage smooth?

Did you get your speedo issue resolved?

I am picking up a 2001 F-150 manual T case later this week along with the "other " t case I need for the speedo sender I believe....

All I need now is the sport fuel tank and a weekend

I have yet to deal with the speedo issue. I havent had time, and me bieng at school it wont be dealt with till december. I did fab up a vss sensor gear bracket to hold the sensor in front of the front d-shaft output, thanks to hiridins pics. I still need to make the thing it will spin on.
Jamie you dont need the sport tank. It clears just fine with a little trimming of the gas tank mount.

I forgot to add. I had to mount the stick the other way. That way it wouldnt be in the seat at 4-lo and wouldnt hit your leg. It doesnt hit my leg and im 6 ft 2.

it clears because this is a manual t case correct? People with the E shift case would have to drop the tank to take the shift motor off?

jsut trying to get an idea of the fitment under there...but i guess I will know pretty soon wont I? I cannot WAIT to get rid of AWD, its nice for sure, but gas/tire wear/ and lack of power make 2wd/4hi/4low so desire-able

Yeah. With the electric case it is very very tight in thier. I had a shift motor on hand and put it up to where it would have mounted. Man it was uber de duper tight.The mount was resting on the shift motor. Where you would have had to trim was a pretty much the main support for the tank. The skid plate holder ma thing was in the way too. THe manual has the shifter in the front, where the front d-shaft is.

intereseting thanks for the info :)
I cannot WAIT

The cool thing about this swap, is that in the rain, its soooo easy to break loose. I spun the rears for quite a distance going sideways a bit when it rains...when i was on 33's. With the stocker tires that i put on for street, hell you stop spinning when you let of the gas. Another thing. When doing about 30 mph and you floor it, you will spin the tires bad in the rain. The best damn feeling of my life.

To let you know, car-parts.com lists all the cases in america. Some prices are a steal and some prices seam like your bieng robbed.

the one I am getting is $200 and had 30 miles on it when pulled from a 01 F-150 hehehehe sshhhhhhhhhhh private party

410Fortune said:
the one I am getting is $200 and had 30 miles on it when pulled from a 01 F-150 hehehehe sshhhhhhhhhhh private party

I just called around my area, none available, but if they were $500-$600 plus freight!

my case was 250...well 350 shipped. It had around 30k on it though.

it would take me 2-3 hours to contact all my local denver metro area Ford truck salvage yards.
Are you sure you checked everywhere?

mountaineergree said:
On car-parts web site, it has two different part numbers for the manual version- does it matter?

it should ask you when its doing the search...AOD or 4r70w. Click on 4r70w.

The shift linkage never comes with the case and good luck finding one. They usually throw em away. I had to spen an extra 117 bucks for my linkage.

I have these bridgestone duler tires on. 30x9.5x15. i roast those somewhat easily. I did have 215x75x15's before i did a burn out with them that popped em.

Attachments

• trip 04.22.06 081.jpg
    trip 04.22.06 081.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 625

Back