'97 V8's Manual 4406 swap..finally | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 V8's Manual 4406 swap..finally

Well Finally my parts are coming in for my t-case swap. My t-case will be here Wednesday. My driveshafts and gas tank on Monday. Friday i will begin the swap. Hopefully it will be done within the day.

I did buy a shift linkage from a 97 f-150. Now i just have to figure out where to put it becuase of the center console interferance.

As V8boatbuilders thread indicated, i bought a rear driveshaft froma 97 Expedition, and front froma 97 f-150. THe wrecking yard was kind enough to include new u-joints on the shafts. The gas tank is out of a 97 sport.
The transfer case is out of a 1997 f-150. Its a 4406 manual with a speedo hole for the VSS thankfully.

Since i'll have the t-case out, im going to go ahead and replace the transmission mount bushing with a polyurethane mount. Does daystar make one for the 4r70w?

My only concern is how im going to get the center console out. Im going to search around on the forum to see how i can remove it. If you have any suggestion on the shift linkage set up, im all ears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was all confusing. Maybe draw us a picture?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

okay so you need to get an output shaft speed sensor into your truck
OR convert it to use the signal from the sensor in your 8.8

Has anyone tried this yet (simply run the wires to the 8.8 sensor???)

Sucky suck suck time

410Fortune said:
Has anyone tried this yet (simply run the wires to the 8.8 sensor???)

Sucky suck suck time

I tried this. Doesn't work. The readings are about 4x as fast up to a point. Then the speedo drops to 0.

Tapping in to the OSS doesn't work either. :D

So you're saying that this case uses an ABS-like sensor for the VSS?

what about those bike speedo's???

so section you have no speedo?

I know on Brett's new drivetrain (93 Exploder, 04 Sohc with 5 speed and t case) the t case housing has the marks where the VSS would normally go (would have to be machined) but we did not confirm if the case had the gears inside, so he went with his OEM 93 BW1354 t case (almost identical)

I wonder if one could install a 98 computer and run the VSS from th erear diffy, eliminate the PATS and swap to the digital trans range sensor (only change I know of for the 5.0L drivetrain from 98+ as far as wiring/sensors/signal goes...

Sounds like a mess!
Or possibly ditch the stock speedo, run a later model electric speedo from say autometer that will work with te 8.8 sensor but the computer will not like to shift properly or use the cruise contol...

just thinking out loud here

What I was going to do next was try a Superlift Tru-Speed deal. I called their tech support and the guy led me to believe it would work.

I guess it works by you putting in your stock gears and tire size, along with your new sizes. But you would need to mess with it more than that. Such as, stock you were using 44" tires, now you're running 11" tires.

Try and demo someone's maybe. Or buy it locally where you can take it back if it doesn't work.

410Fortune said:
so section you have no speedo?

I do. This was when I first did my 2wd to awd and was trying to use a '99 4404. I just switched to a 96 4404 and it was all good. :D Same with my current 1354. :cool:

say what now? I see you put in a 96 4406 with the sensor, but whats this about a 1354?

I went from the stock 4404 to a manual 1354. Never had a 4406.

Argh, now this is when i wish this was a later model mountaineer so i could run the damn speedo of the rear. Im thinking if its possible if i could take out the back half and put one of those gear things for the vss to spin on. Only problem is that which salvage yard would screw up a perfectly good case.

97, Glad to see another member do the swap - and use a manual case. Retaining the 21 gallon tank is a great; did you have to take it out to install the t-case?

Odd that your speedo is not working. Mine works perfectly using the original expedition VSS.

V8BoatBuilder said:
97, Glad to see another member do the swap - and use a manual case. Retaining the 21 gallon tank is a great; did you have to take it out to install the t-case?

Odd that your speedo is not working. Mine works perfectly using the original expedition VSS.

Nice to see you chime in ( i was waiting for you lol). I had to remove the front mount of the gas tank and let the tank rest on a jack. Also i lossened the rear straps on the right side to allow for a bit of minupulation of the gas tank.

As for the speedo im very upset about that. Check engine light is on with 2 VSS codes. Apparently the f-150 case has the VSS but no gear on the shaft to spin the vss sensor! I noticed that i have some plugs one on the front to accept a plug and one on the back that has a wire and a plug you plug into something directly underneath the vss sensor..well off to the side. What are those things. How the hell did the truck that this thing was on have a speedo reading. The thing is i use the trip milage to fill up gas with. Every 200 miles i put gas in. (my gauge is broke). I would do the message center but man that thing looks hard to do.

[QUOTE='97 V8]Nice to see you chime in ( i was waiting for you lol). I had to remove the front mount of the gas tank and let the tank rest on a jack. Also i lossened the rear straps on the right side to allow for a bit of minupulation of the gas tank.

As for the speedo im very upset about that. Check engine light is on with 2 VSS codes. Apparently the f-150 case has the VSS but no gear on the shaft to spin the vss sensor! I noticed that i have some plugs one on the front to accept a plug and one on the back that has a wire and a plug you plug into something directly underneath the vss sensor..well off to the side. What are those things. How the hell did the truck that this thing was on have a speedo reading. The thing is i use the trip milage to fill up gas with. Every 200 miles i put gas in. (my gauge is broke). I would do the message center but man that thing looks hard to do.[/QUOTE]

I would guess those other sensors confirm shift position, to illuminate dash lights confirming the shift from 2hi to 4hi and 4low.

Try posting on an F150 message board to see if anyone with a 97 F150 knows where their speedo signal comes from. But I do find it very odd to have a VSS with no inner teeth.

i find it odd too. So the only other way for me to solve this issue is to change the rear part of the case where the sensor is. Do i just unbolt it and slide the shaft out?

listen if the F-150 had a speed sensor in that transfer case, then there MUST be teeth in there, if you pulled the F-150 speed sensor out and it had a black gear on it which you swapped for a black one this tells me there is a gear driven speed sensor in your T case......something else is causing the issue here me thinks.

Yeah.. why would the F150 have a gear? You seriously need to invest in a camera if you're taking on projects like this. :p

i stuck my finger in the hole..felt where the teeth should be...no teeth, smooth as jenna jamesons skin

[QUOTE='97 V8]i stuck my finger in the hole..felt where froader should be...no colin, smooth as jenna jamesons skin[/QUOTE]

Weird. What was the gear for then? Find a picture of it on the interwebnet!

well all the manual 4406's have a speedo hole, even the 99's and newer. Im thinking the friggin yard gave me a 99 case instead of the 97 i wanted...that would be a problem i guess.

Anyways. where can i get a tone ring..If i could get a tone ring i could make a bracket and mount the speedo sensor i have and let it run on the driveshaft up front. I'll use the other sensor to plug the hole up in the t-case.

UPDATE on the case.
So far aftyer i have cooled down from my speedo surprise im feeling a marked improvement in steering. Also in acceleration from a stop i feel more go. When i turn and accalerate i feel like i do in a rwd car. Today leavong work i got really sideways when i floored it in the rocks taking a turn..it was very fun. Now i need to figure out a dam shift linkage. Thats my other issue i have to deal with.

Back