'97 V8's Manual 4406 swap..finally | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 V8's Manual 4406 swap..finally

Well Finally my parts are coming in for my t-case swap. My t-case will be here Wednesday. My driveshafts and gas tank on Monday. Friday i will begin the swap. Hopefully it will be done within the day.

I did buy a shift linkage from a 97 f-150. Now i just have to figure out where to put it becuase of the center console interferance.

As V8boatbuilders thread indicated, i bought a rear driveshaft froma 97 Expedition, and front froma 97 f-150. THe wrecking yard was kind enough to include new u-joints on the shafts. The gas tank is out of a 97 sport.
The transfer case is out of a 1997 f-150. Its a 4406 manual with a speedo hole for the VSS thankfully.

Since i'll have the t-case out, im going to go ahead and replace the transmission mount bushing with a polyurethane mount. Does daystar make one for the 4r70w?

My only concern is how im going to get the center console out. Im going to search around on the forum to see how i can remove it. If you have any suggestion on the shift linkage set up, im all ears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe I should find one too and go that route.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

section525 said:
I think I gathered in my reasearch that you did have to use a 4.6L and not a 5.4L transfer case. :eek: That was a long time ago though. I am getting old.

I found a case locally finally. For $500 I can get the case, driveshaft from a F150 for the front, and a Lincolon Navi rear shaft. Don't sound too bad I dont guess. But the case has 80K on it. :(

According to the parts guy, there is no difference in the cases. They show to be the same for a 4.6 or 5.4. He has the case that ends in "AC". Im not sure what I am going to do yet. I would like to know for certain if there is a difference so I don't get stuck with the wrong case.

wouldnt going this route save you from having to modify your trans crossmember fore your front d-shaft?

[QUOTE='97 V8]wouldnt going this route save you from having to modify your trans crossmember fore your front d-shaft?[/QUOTE]

Yes (probably)! :D Plus, I'd feel better about sending my power through the 4406 instead of this little V6 case. :p

mountaineergree said:
Thats what I thought. I dont want to have to modify a crossmember.

no no your fine. I was talking to section. There is a lot of clearence between the x-member and the d-shaft.

Wait.............Section your adapter is like mine? the 5" version with the new output shaft?
Or is the longer one which does not require going inside the 4r70w?

You are running the 1354 t case, that sucker is jsut fine behind the 5.0L and will soak up less power rear wheels when in 2wd then the larger 4406 right?

Keep it if it means you would have to go back inside your trans again.

I have the 9" version (which required going inside the trans too). Right? I know a new shaft was put into my tranny. Anyway, I bought the tranny/adapter/transfer case as a whole. So I still have my stock 4r70w with about 20k on it. So if need be, I can throw that thing back in and just run a 4406 instead of having to swap out the output shaft and run the 1354.

Right now my transfer case is very close to the fuel tank bracket. I can't even run the little weight balancer deal on it.

But I was just thinking out loud. :D

those weight dampers are for the birds.

I see, spare tranny then.

Thats pretty good, bieng that the manual cases are hard to find.

$500 will pay for itself in gas in less then a year I would think.
AWD also eats up the front tires

See how I justify this stuff? hahahaha

410Fortune said:

You are good!!

410Fortune said:

Well this is true. With the AWD and 33's i got 13mpg on average. With the t-case swap i would average 16 mpg. That 16mpg is with the new 33'' destination mt's which measured almost 34". With the street tires i have now, 30x9.5x15 i average around 19-20 mpg on the highway, and around 15 street. Bieng i have no speedo with the swap i mapquested everything and used my verizon vz navigator to tell me the distance to all the places i went.

410Fortune said:

Thanks, I need some help. I haven't told my wife yet. ;)

The case is in! Rear driveshaft hooked up. Still have to get the conversion u joint tomorrow for the front shaft. I have some rubbing with the driveshaft on the plastic cover that is over the tank. It's not bad, and the plastic is 1/2" from the metal anyway. I got the shift boot and lever from an 2000 F150 from the yard for free. I need the linkage between the lever and case though.

Does anyone have a picture of the link so I can pick it from a pile o parts at the salvage yard?

I pick up my t cases tonight :)

sweet. So we got a 4406 in this order.

V8boat builder
"97 V8
Mountaineergree
410 fortune

Cough cough section 525 still waiting on you cough cough

this is the best shot i have of it. sorry.

Attachments

• trip 04.22.06 075.jpg
    trip 04.22.06 075.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 519

yeah but section already has the 1354 so I wuold not be in a big hurry if I was him

Back