'97 what changer can you use with factory equiped stereo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 what changer can you use with factory equiped stereo

gregsz

Reaction score
City, State
toledo,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
have a 97 xlt and want to add a cd changer. the factory stereo has the cd changer controls on it, what are my options for the changer? does it have to be the OEM model? also would there be any wiring already in place from the factory for the cd changer? if so, where is it run too? trunck? console? thanks for the help.

also any suggestions on a specific model would be great, especially if it can also play mp3 files from cd.

greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, welcome to the site... You'll find lots of usefull information here if you use the search function...

Second, OEM only is the only way I've ever seen it done... Changers usually sell on the board for anywhere between $75-125 plus shipping... You should be able to use one from any X going from 95-01 I believe, as long as its the 6 disc. It goes in your console... The wireing can be found by opening your console and removing the change/klenex holder... There should be a small plug down there if its prewired... If not I believe you can buy the cable for around $30 online... You'll also need the tray that the changer mounts in so make sure and get that from the seller...

thanks for the welcoming, and the help. i was affraid the oem was the only way to go. i think im gonna head over to a car stereo place today and see what they say. im sure a new oem changer is bug bucks, and i was hoping to use a similar cheaper name brand unit.

thanks Heath, i think thats what im gonna try and do now. being new here, i dont want you to take this the wrong way, but are most people on this site trustworthy? i use a few message boards, and the more i use them the more friendly most people seem to be. just hoping its the same way here (as i sort of assume its going to be). should i be leary of getting scammed at all? thanks again.

greg

I think you'll find that the great majority of the people on here are pretty honest... We're like a big family here... Hang around for a while and you'll fit right in....

Originally posted by Brans Freestyle
if your looking for the stock 6 disc changer, ive got one if you wanna buy it. its from a 97 with the stock standard audio system

gregsz,

That one should work in your X just fine... If your X dosen't have the wiring harness let me know and I'll find out where my buddy got his wireing harness...

Brian Freestyle, how much are you looking to get for your changer? i assume its in good working order?

Heath, thanks for following my posts, im probably drivng you nuts by all my different threads, i know that becomes a pain in the butt very quickly, so ill try to limit it. I did check under the kleenex box, but wasnt able to find anything. all i could feel was one bundle of wires, which i believe are the wires that run to the radio controls for the back seat on the console. ill check again to see if there is anything else floating around in there, which i hope there is. Thanks again, this site is pretty sweet!

Greg

I believe that the plug comes out of that bundle, if you have the plug... If not I think the wire harness is like $30-40 online... Getting one out of a vehicle that came with it from the factory is a real *****, You have to strip the front interior and bust open the wire looms and such... Its easier to buy one online...

if brans doesnt respond, i have one, perfect condition, never had an issue, but i stripped my truck down and put a new system in it. some a-hole hit me, so i need cash for body work now, so im looking for about $100. i can ship tomorrow, let me now.

ill sell you mine for like $70. when i pulled it out of my truck to install the new stereo, it was in perfect working order, and its just been sitting in my garage for the past 3 months. its still connected to the tray that it was in with the cd holders and such. since my truck is in the shop i cant go out and test it to make sure its still in perfect order, so if you want, buy liquids, cause it would suck to sell it to have you find out somethings wrong

liquidx9, i sent you an email let me know if you get it.

Brans Freestyle, firstly, sorry i called you 'Brian' before, i need to start paying more attention i suppose. secondly, i may take your advice since you cant verify that it works right now, but will definetly let you know if things dont work out with liquidx9.

thanks alot guys.

greg, you have mail

seems like liquidx9 and i have a deal. i have one quick question, maybe someone can answer. he has the Limited explorer, does that have a different 'Premium' sound system in it? if so will the changer still work on the standard stereo? im guessing it will.

wiring plug.......does anyone have a link to where i can get one relatively cheap? at least a link to one so i know what it is i need. (i think ill open up the console all the way before i buy one, just to double check that there isnt one already there first).

thanks.

greg

done and done,

just thought ild post what i found out in case someone else is looking for the same info i was:

firstly, bought changer from liquidx9, good guy to deal with.

secondly, the wiring harness i bought from radios and more, but they didnt have it listed on their website. i called them and descirbed what i needed....they were very helpful (harness was 40 bucks).

the install was super easy. pull out factory radio, unplug radio, shove new wiring harness behind radio (plug in ends, no guess work things can only fit one way). pull out the litte plastic storage area near where the console and dash meet (sort of near the floor). it just pulls out, no screws or anything to worry about. ran cd changer wires from new harness up console, plug in changer, screw changer down, put radio in, and thats it!

thanks for the help guys.

greg

greg is a very patient person. USPS almost screwed us both over, but everything got sorted out, gregs a real good guy to do business with, and a very pleasant person in general

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back