97 XLT awd to 2wd info needed! thanks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 XLT awd to 2wd info needed! thanks

1slow4pointOh

Reaction score
City, State
Sedona, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ford Explorer XLT
Okay so I tried searching and I can't find anything that helps.

I have a 97 xlt 4.0 sohc and I'm looking to ditch the front drivetrain.

Here are my questions; can I swap the tcase for a 2wd tailshaft and driveline or do I have to get a different trans?

What trans/driveline parts do I need?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can swap it into a 2WD.
Obvious stuff is the transfer case, front hubs, abs wiring for 2WD hubs, new rotors up front, and if you're trying to make it look pretty, a dash piece from the junk yard that doesn't have the 4x4 switch.

These are just the obvious parts, of course.

You can "just swap the t case for a tail shaft" however that involves pulling apart the transmission and swapping output shafts.

FYI your explorer isn't AWD it's 4WD. You're not gaining much swapping it to 2WD

You can "just swap the t case for a tail shaft" however that involves pulling apart the transmission and swapping output shafts.

FYI your explorer isn't AWD it's 4WD. You're not gaining much swapping it to 2WD

Well, it's a control-trac...

Can i keep the same drive shaft or do i have to swap it for a 2wd?
I'm comfortable pulling the trans apart.

So i need:
Hubs
Tailshaft/output shaft

You will need,( just did my green ex) drive line from a 2we, transmission , front spindle assembly, or just drop the front dif and shafts and leave the rest of the front end alone I have a drive line for a 2wd thats an extra. What gears are in it? I need 4.10's for my front. The most time consuming part will be swapping the trans.

You will need,( just did my green ex) drive line from a 2we, transmission , front spindle assembly, or just drop the front dif and shafts and leave the rest of the front end alone I have a drive line for a 2wd thats an extra. What gears are in it? I need 4.10's for my front. The most time consuming part will be swapping the trans.

so i can't convert the trans to 2wd?

so i can't convert the trans to 2wd?

You'll need the output shaft, which requires completely tearing apart the transmission.

Like I said though, you're not a true AWD. It's RWD until it detects slippage. I believe there's a mod to make it stay 2WD unless you put it in 4x4.
You won't gain much by changing. 1~2mpg. You could do better just by changing driving habits.
Go to ecomodder.com if ya wanna learn some tips

You'll need the output shaft, which requires completely tearing apart the transmission.

Like I said though, you're not a true AWD. It's RWD until it detects slippage. I believe there's a mod to make it stay 2WD unless you put it in 4x4.
You won't gain much by changing. 1~2mpg. You could do better just by changing driving habits.
Go to ecomodder.com if ya wanna learn some tips

Yeah the ol' brown wire mod, already had to do that due to a problem with my GEM or wiring (too lazy to diag, stuck in 4wd)

reason I'm wanting it 2wd is for a LT kit.

I think i'm gonna keep it 4wd and just do coil overs though.

I appreciate the responses!

Back