• Register Today It's free!

'97 XLT Hard bouncy ride problem

Seaeric

Reaction score
City, State
Ft Lauderdale, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
NEWBIE question;I bought my My 97 2WD Explorer used about 2 years ago. I noticed right away that the ride was really hard and very bouncy over bumps. I have owned 2 previous Explorers that rode very nice. I had a mechanic look under this car thinking that it needed shocks. He said all the stuff under there looked really new. I'm wondering if the OEM suspension was changed out at some point and that's why the ride is now so hard. If I could spend a few $$ and make this car more comfortable to drive, i would do it. Otherwise, this thing is so uncomfortable that I'm going to just get rid of it and get another vehicle. Anyone have any experience with this in the past? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the short wheel base of the sport it will ride rough. Shocks may help.

However it is what it is. An SUV not a Cadilac or a Lincoln.

What brand and model of tires are on it?

The Goodyear Wrangler RT-S that I had on mine rode like garbage. The Michelin LTX M/S that I replaced them with improved the ride ALOT.

First, it is not a car, it is a truck and will never ride any better than what it is. Next, try doing a search on this subject as it has been discussed many times in the past and there should be plenty of information to help you answer your question. Welcome to the site and enjoy your time spent here.

to get that "rollover" soft ride you could run the recalled Firestones and lower your tire pressure to mid 20s :confused: , I say try some "P" passenger tires instead of "LT"light truck if you dont do any towing or carry heavy loads, they ride softer. Other modifications include removing the sway bars, but removing them making your vehicle tippy:eek: . SO I would leave it alone:thumbsup: , shorter wheel base and solid rear end = choppy ride

Thanks guys for the replies. I did do some research on this subject here on the forum. So, today my Explorer is at a local shop getting OEM type Monroe shocks put on. I emphasized to them the desire for a s m o o t h ride. As I type this, they just called and said she's ready. I guess I will know in a bit if the change in shocks worked. If so, I run her another year or so. If not, she's going on ebay! Stay tuned. Thanks again for the replies.

might want to try collapsing the shocks out of the box, the faster you can compress them the softer the ride. Thats how I decide on shocks/struts, I like them firmer though for better road response:D

Its really not much better after the new shocks. I guess what I need to do is upgrade to a newer 2002+ Explorer or Mountaineer.

What brand and model of tires are on it?

I replaced my Goodyears tires with Michelin's CrossTerrains and it improved my X's ride a lot ...

Sometimes people underestimate the importance of a good set of tires

G

Back