• Register Today It's free!

97 XLT Head Unit Wiring HELP

Irelandunfree

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
So I just ordered a Pioneer HU from Sound Domain, it came with the wiring harness and im ready to install it but im new to car audio. The harness includes 2 plugs with wires, one black and one grey, do I splice and connect the matching color coded wires from these two together then plug it in to the factory wire harness? I need help! Thanks in advance guys :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes - the wires in the special harness should match up with the wires coming off the headunit harness. Splice them together and plug it in - it's that simple!

Awesome thanks for the quick reply man!

I prefer to use bullet or spade connectors to splice the HU adapter and stock adapter together, that way if I ugprade again later, I don't gotta go cuttin all the wires again... but that's just me

Of course I hit a problem, the two grey harnesses fit together with a snap, but the black ones are two different sizes. The original black harness is smaller with more wires then the new larger harness with less. Any help will be great!

i'm having the same problem, although i'm not installing a new hu, but i want to know exactly what i'll need to do before hand. from what i've been told it sounds like you have the Premium sound system with that many wires coming from that plug.
the new one has 8 right? should all be for the speakers.... the ford one has about 2x as many as the new one right??
i've been thinking that i would be easier if you can get to each speaker, (fl,fr,rl,rr) to determine their colors, be sure you record them properly! once you have the colors of each speaker then you can cut and splice them according to the labeled wires on your new plug. i'm not sure if you have to do anything with your factory amp. if i'm correct your blue/white wire coming from the grey plug that fits together is your remote for the new amp. hope this helps a little.

eckerd_explorer said:
i'm having the same problem, although i'm not installing a new hu, but i want to know exactly what i'll need to do before hand. from what i've been told it sounds like you have the Premium sound system with that many wires coming from that plug.
the new one has 8 right? should all be for the speakers.... the ford one has about 2x as many as the new one right??

Yes, but instead of cutting my factory wires I would get a new harness. I think I found one online but im not sure.

Hmmm... well if you get the new harness, and everything works out please do let me know where you got it from because when the time comes and if i don't have to cut wires, then i don't want to. good luck, let us know if the new harness works.

I to be redundent am having the same problem i dont really care about subs or great speaker i just want a cd player. So i bought some aftermaket HU from Auto Zone and then the adapter and then the wirring harness. The grey one worked alright but the black one first off dosnt come out of my ford radio and second has a hellofa lot more wires comming out of it. What did you guys do to fix the issue??

Well i did it (cut and splice the wires in that small plug) the stereo works but then weird electrical stuff started to happen first the front an rear winsheild wipers werent working....ok i can fix that later i can get aong with out it, them my battery went hawire first i had a decent charge then the light came on and that night it was dead, so i jumped it and it ran and the battery didnt charge so i am going to replace the battery and see if it cures any of my issues.

Back