• Register Today It's free!

97 xlt stereo help

armyvet8492

Reaction score
City, State
houghton lake michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer xlt 5.0 v-8
ive looked through about 20 pages of threads and have no idea what the factory system is in my 97 xlt. does it have a factory amp? wheres it located? what do u guys mean 1st,2nd,3rd generation? i just got this and would like to know as much as possible. how do i remove the factory cd changer in the console ive gotten as far as getting to the plug but the changer wont budge...any help?.....thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove the two screws you see when you open the console lid at the hinge end. Remove the coin holder, you'll see two more screws to remove. Lift out the cd changer/platic console insert. Remove the wire connector. There are four more screws holding them together. 97-2001 is second generation, 2002 up is the third generation.

http://oem-auto-accessory.com/factory_ford_radios.html
http://oem-auto-accessory.com/factory_ford_radio_identifcation.html

Three sound systems are available for 1997:

AM/FM Radio.
Electronic premium cassette.
Audiophile Lux Cassette Radio/DSP Power Antenna.
A multi-disc CD changer is optional for the Electronic Premium Audio system, and the Audiophile Lux Audio system.

The Explorer offers a standard AM/FM Electronic Search Radio (ESR) on XL, Sport, and XLT models.

The Explorer Eddie Bauer model and Mountaineer offer a standard AM/FM Premium Electronic Search Cassette Radio system. This system is optional on Explorer XL, Sport, and XLT models. A multi-disc CD changer is optional for this system.

The Audiophile LUX Audio system is standard on the Explorer Limited. This system is optional on Mountaineer and Explorer Sport, XLT, and Eddie Bauer models. The multi-disc CD changer is also optional for this system.

The AM/FM Premium Electronic Search Cassette Radio system consists of the radio chassis, four one-way radio speakers, and a remote mounted four-channel radio amplifier (18B849). An optional digital audio compact disc player (18D806) is available, as is the Premium Sound System.

The Audiophile LUX Cassette Radio/DSP system consists of the radio chassis, two JBL® two-way radio speakers, two JBL® one-way radio speakers, a subwoofer amplifier and a subwoofer enclosure, and a four-channel radio amplifier. The four-channel radio amplifier also houses a signal processor for the AM/FM tuner, cassette tape player, the CD changer, and cellular telephone. An optional digital audio compact disc player is available.

The rear integrated control panel (RICP) is available with the AM/FM Premium Electronic Search Cassette Radio and the Audiophile LUX Cassette Radio/DSP systems. The RICP audio controls are activated and deactivated by pressing the front chassis radio memory buttons "3" and "5" simultaneously.

The audio controls of the RICP allow the rear passengers to control volume, station, AM/FM band, front chassis radio memory presets, and speaker or headphone selection. The mini-headphone jacks are also located on the panel.

The amplifier is located behind the right rear interior quarter panel.

Scucci, that is really good info on the different audio component options that were available on the 97 Ex. Are the same options available for all 2nd-gen. Explorer's or is that only for the 97? Was that info in the owner's manual or someplace else?

Scucci, that is really good info on the different audio component options that were available on the 97 Ex. Are the same options available for all 2nd-gen. Explorer's or is that only for the 97? Was that info in the owner's manual or someplace else?

The info is from the service manual dvd. That information applies to 97 through 2001. 98 is the switchover year from M100/P100 to the Square T100 plugs as shown on the links.

man i just wanna say thanks..u have been a great help and i really appreciate it...thanks again

man i just wanna say thanks..u have been a great help and i really appreciate it...thanks again

Armyvet8492
You're welcome. While you have the changer out, take off the cover and gently clean the lens with a Q-tip and a little 90% rubbing alcohol. Very lightly lube the pickup rails with a Q-tip dipped in light oil. Make sure the CD holders are locked in place before putting the cover back on. If anyone has smoked in the vehicle the lens and rails get covered with nicotine. Test it before bolting into the console. If it still has the problem it is most likely fubar.

thanks alot u may have saved me some money. i'll try that in the morning. i'll let u know how it turns out, i'd like to keep the factory system if possible..thanks again!

thanks alot u may have saved me some money. i'll try that in the morning. i'll let u know how it turns out, i'd like to keep the factory system if possible..thanks again!

The factory sound systems are very good quality. So far all the break-ins around here have involved aftermarket systems. The original equipment systems evidently aren't worth taking. Good luck.

ok tore it all apart got it cleaned and so far its working great...u saved me some money..thanks again im not explorer smart but u need anything just ask..thanks alot..ok 1 more thing how do i go about hooking up an amp and subs? i read a link about some line u splice into a speaker wire.will this use the amp at peak performance? or will it limit its sound? ..thanks

ok tore it all apart got it cleaned and so far its working great...u saved me some money..thanks again im not explorer smart but u need anything just ask..thanks alot..ok 1 more thing how do i go about hooking up an amp and subs? i read a link about some line u splice into a speaker wire.will this use the amp at peak performance? or will it limit its sound? ..thanks

Glad you got it fixed. I assume you don't have the factory sub system. Get an amp that has speaker level inputs or use a line level converter. The standard and premium system has full range output to the speakers. The amp you purchase should have a separate sub woofer output and built in crossover. I used an Alpine MRP-F450/MRPF250 to do this on my son's car. It has everything built in - speaker level inputs, adjustable cross over and sub woofer output and is bridgeable. The instructions can not be more detailed as that will depend on the amp you purchase.

You splice into the speaker wires from one or both rear speakers depending on your amp. This has no noticeable effect on the speakers sound. Just a small amount of power is used by the amp. You get full range sound to the amp, then the amp cross over limits the sound to the sub woofer to the 200 HZ and below frequency range.

Cruise around this web site:
http://www.bcae1.com/

it is loaded with information.

Scucci

i already have 2 800wt 10 inch in a box with a small 200 2channel amp i hade it in my bonniville and they sounded ok i dont need window shattering bass just for me. im kinda old school.. so i need to buy that line level converter? can i get it like at autozone or napa or some special shop?....thanks again

i already have 2 800wt 10 inch in a box with a small 200 2channel amp i hade it in my bonniville and they sounded ok i dont need window shattering bass just for me. im kinda old school.. so i need to buy that line level converter? can i get it like at autozone or napa or some special shop?....thanks again

you can usually find them at local car audio shops, best buy, some walmart's and on line. I have seen autozone Cary them, each location seems to be different.

Heres an example on line:
http://www.installer.com/hilo/index.php

Back