98-00 Trailmaster Lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98-00 Trailmaster Lift

sansell

Reaction score
I just found out that the Trailmaster 4" lift is available for the late model Explorers.
I want to find out what experiences people have had with installing it, e.g. good and bad effects, difficulties with installation.

FYI: Where I checked the kit sells for $1450 and installation would be about $500.

Also, has anyone heard about the 2" lifts from ARB (SEMA '99)?

thanks,
SAnsell

'98 Explorer 4x4 XLT

Huh?

Hi SAnsell,

I sicerely DO hope you have accurate info. Did you find out for sure that it is CURRENTLY available and has actually been shipped to a real customer yet? If so, where has this happened? There is about a hundred people on this board that have been waiting a year for it but Trailmaster has never actually released it though it has promised time and time and time and time again. Please read the thread:

http://216.10.4.110/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13695

Where I listed some of the history as I can remember it.

HAVE YOU REALLY LEARNED YOU CAN BUY ONE RIGHT NOW? AND FROM WHOM?????

To directly answer your question, the lift has been "available any day now" since about May of 1999 but no one has ever actually received one, so there is no one that has any experience with installing one.

[Edited by GJarrett on 06-12-2000 at 08:32 AM]

The ARB kits are now in the US. Basically, the setup is a roughly 2" lift for the rear via new springs. The front can be lifted 1-1.5" by cranking the torsion bars. This lift appears to have been designed to be used with a torsion bar adjustment. It can also eliminate the late model Explorer rear end sag.

I just ordered a set of the springs along with ARB's Old Man Emu shocks. I will be posting the results of the installation when I get them on.

As far as the trailmaster lift, that has been promised for quite a while. Gerald is skeptical for a reason; the market date has been changed more times than a snake changes its skin. I'm really hoping that they have finally hit the market, since there are quite a few people interested in that lift.

There is one person, Todd C, that has a lifted late model, but he used a Ranger lift kit and made some modifications to make it fit his Explorer. It looks great!

Back