98-01 Explorer auto headlamp sensor adjustment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98-01 Explorer auto headlamp sensor adjustment

CowboyBilly9Mile

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ranger FX4 Level II
Hello everyone first post here from a long time lurker. :)

I've got an 04 Ranger FX4 Level II that I've had for about 11 years, and I've retrofitted it with the auto dim, auto headlamp mirror from a 98-01ish Explorer. The trouble is, the auto headlamps don't come on until the level of outside darkness is beyond the time for headlights.

I've noticed that there is a hole on the bottom these mirrors that a paperclip can be inserted in, and a friend has told me that there is a sequence of pushing in on the paperclip (there is a switch in there, the headlights will start blinking), turning autolamps from off to on, turning the key on and watching the LED on the mirror. All this being done with the vehicle outside when the lighting is at the desired level for the headlights to come on; this is the calibration point. Long story short, I cant figure out the sequence to recalibrate. Anyone know the trick?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never heard of such a calibration point. I swapped out my stock headlight for Anzo's a few years ago and never noticed any on/off calibration sensor. I thought that the sensor was the little round photocell on the dash.

I've never heard of such a calibration point. I swapped out my stock headlight for Anzo's a few years ago and never noticed any on/off calibration sensor. I thought that the sensor was the little round photocell on the dash.

The dash sensor is used on 2002+ models. Serious, there is a way to calibrate the 98-01, the trick is in the sequence of events, sort of like programming a new PATS key. Do the right things in the right order and at the right time, and life is good. :)

Edit: On the bottom of the 98-01 autodim mirrors there is a small hole. This is where the paperclip, small nail, etc is inserted and by pressing in that hole there is a switch that will be engaged, and the vehicle lights will flash three times. This is part of the calibration sequences.

The dash sensor is used on 2002+ models. Serious, there is a way to calibrate the 98-01, the trick is in the sequence of events, sort of like programming a new PATS key. Do the right things in the right order and at the right time, and life is good. :)

Edit: On the bottom of the 98-01 autodim mirrors there is a small hole. This is where the paperclip, small nail, etc is inserted and by pressing in that hole there is a switch that will be engaged, and the vehicle lights will flash three times. This is part of the calibration sequences.

Hmm, never knew that! There is a dash sensor on my 98. Must be for something else. The auto-dimming mirror sensor is on the mirror itself. What could the dash sensor be for?

Be sure to scour the owners manual. I don't have this model but I know there was a sequence described for our police fleet interceptors for eliminating the warning bell for seat belts in the manual. It would stand to reason that if there is one, it should be described there. Hope that helps.

Bump. Looked in the owners manual, the Ford FSM, have trolled the interwebz and here for 2+ hours. I can post a pic if there is someone who can use it to help with the procedure. :)

Back