• Register Today It's free!

98 4.0 ohv hard hot start

pineapple

Reaction score
City, State
Hilo,Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
98XLT
My wifes 98 explorer starts and runs perfectly first thing in the morning when stone cold but after getting to a destination turn off the engine and trying to start up again it cranks fine but takes longer than usual to start. I changed the starter relay, fuel filter, air filter, and even the fuel pump because I thought it was fuel related. The explorer quit running on her but started back up and ran perfectly for about a mile and died again. That is when I suspected fuel delivery and changed the pump. Now it runs fine and starts on the first crack in the morning but still having hard starts after warming up. After it starts if I shut the engine off and restart right away it starts right up .Any ideas on this problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

had an issue like this once; check fuel pressure

could it be the pressure regulator? where is the pressure regulator on this motor

When it won't start, do you hear the fuel pump prime?

I can hear the fuel prime pump even on the hard start episodes.

It could be the fuel pressure regulator. Do a search, there are threads will tell you how to test. You should also consider the fuel filter unless you've already replaced it.

Back