98 4.0 SOHC Stalls at highway speeds and high ambient temperature | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 4.0 SOHC Stalls at highway speeds and high ambient temperature

Randy the elder

Reaction score
City, State
southern Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC
1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHCE Engine tries to die or stalls at highway speeds of 70 and abve as well as outside temperatures over 80* F. It takes about 1-1/2 houres driving beforea stall situation will occur. Often but not always, while within these perarmeters a slight left turn for changing lanes could bring about a stall. This condition started two years ago, although intermittent it didn't happen often. Over time it has increasingly gotten worse. Once stalled, I can stop, put the tuck in park and it will immediately restart (not safe on highways with a lot of traffic). No check engine codes!

I have replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, fuel pump and filter, checked for and repaired vaccum leaks, changed spark plugs and wires, coil pack, cleaned the MAF sensor, unplugged cleaned lubed every electrical connection I could find, cleaned and reset body feame ground wire from battery. While checking relays I noticed a slight burnt spot under one lug of the blower motor relay, all other relays were clean underneath. Two days ago after a stall I opened the Power Distribution box and thought the relays were unusually hot. I removed the cover of the box to see if cooling it would help. I know it was risky but I needed to drive around 500 miles and had resigned myself to driving an hour or so and let the truck rest. I drove most of that distance without a failure except for once and at that time it spuddered but kept running. Oh and I didn't have to take those brakes cause it ran fine.

Any Ideas will be appreciated. Thank You...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you pulled any codes?

No codes at all and the check engine light works when starting.

I'd change out the relays. You also may have a short in the power distribution box.

Relays were all changed, suspect the distribution box,was hoping to find a sipler fix, I hate to splice all those connections.

Back