98 4.0L won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 4.0L won't start

Headscratcher

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer 4.0L 4x4
This problem started showing up a while back. You start the car and it would start but act like it was starving for gas. turn it off pump the gas and it would start right up. this would go on for a few days then would disappear for days or weeks then show up again. Last month it started acting up again and it would take two or three times to get it to start. My daughter took it out,stopped by the house for a while ,went back out and it will not start at all.

I have checked the relays and fuses, they are all good. The inertia switch is good and pressed in. I do not hear the fuel pump start to prime when the key is on and bypassed the relay with a battery charger and still no pump noise. Pushed in the schrader valve while being cranked and nothing comes out or when just setting. there is no pressure on it at all. I will start when starter fluid is sprayed into the intake and run till gone. Common sense tells me it is the fuel pump but I thought there might be something I am missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks..

it's the pump

Applying power to the fuel pump relay contacts eliminates everything except the inertia switch, the pump and the wiring. Since you checked the inertia switch it's either the pump or the wiring - most likely the pump.

Back