98+ 4R70W into '96 Explorer | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

98+ 4R70W into '96 Explorer

oharris

Reaction score
City, State
Peyton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 & '98 XLT V8, '00 XLS
I have a '96 5.0 Explorer AWD with a blown tranny. From what I have read, the '98+ 4R70W with the mechanical diode is improved over the earlier ones. I did a search and the only thing I have found for sure is that the DTRS is different on the later trans, but all you have to do swap the earlier one and keep the '96 wiring. I also saw something about the speed sensor not being present on 98+, but since this is AWD that would be on the transfer case anyway. Are there any other differences? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

skpyle

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Blacksburg, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited 5.0 AWD
Hello Oharris,

The VSS is not on the BW4404 (AWD) transfer case for 98+. 98+ use the ABS speed sensor on top of the rear differential housing.

Good Luck with your swap!

Seth K. Pyle

skpyle

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Blacksburg, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited 5.0 AWD
OK, I screwed that up, sorry. :(
My statement about 98+ VSS is true. However, you were asking about the 4R70W.
If the 96 BW4404 has the VSS on the transfer case, I don't see how that would interefere with fitting a later 4R70W.

Seth K. Pyle

oharris

Reaction score
City, State
Peyton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 & '98 XLT V8, '00 XLS
I am aware of the difference with the VSS and of the DTRS. Are there any other differences that would prevent the swap?

skpyle

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Blacksburg, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited 5.0 AWD
Continue searching. I believe the solenoid control wiring is pinned out different in the plugs in the transmission wiring harness.