98 4x4 Sport, Now power to front wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 4x4 Sport, Now power to front wheels

Jonny813

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Sport Trac XLT Prem
98 4x4 Sport, No power to front wheels

Alright here we go...

My 4x4 hasnt fully worked for awhile(the motor has been going bad, rebuilt twice now) but I had power to the front and the back wheels still. Well, recently, about 3 weeks ago I lost power to the front wheels completely. I am jaking it up this weekend to take a look... This is whats going on at my dash though... I start the car and the 4 Low is lit up(but its not, I checked its in the 4 High at the Xfer case), and that stays on up untill I hit Overdrive, once I hit O/D, both 4Low/4High start flashing AND my O/D Off light starts flashing(I still have O/D though). Now, I have always had the 4x4 lights flash because of the motor... but the O/D flashing is new... Now I did SEARCH, I saw alot of different posts about flashing O/D but saw none that said no power to the front wheels. If its flashing because my transmission threw a code(I saw that in some posts, where can I get this scanned since OBD-II didnt pull it up)... This is getting real annoying in the rain, I want my 4x4... ANY advice even theories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many times would the 4x4 lights flash? Have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer and see if the problem persists? Your transfercase itself may be shot. Do you hear any whirring noises at highway speeds if you take your foot off the gas and coast?

I just started working on it now. Reset the computer, havent test drove it yet... But I the switch works with 4Auto and 4 High, 4 Low wont seem to engage so it looks like I may take the motor down and rebuild it yet again. I guess Ill just have to poke around...

I haven't counted how many times they flashed, is the number flashed is a code for the problem? Or general area... I dont think its the transfer case, I have a good feeling its electrical, or like a solonoid which I haven't checked them yet... I don't know how to test or look at solonoids yet so, any advice on that would also be good.

Ill know later tonight when I take it about on the road for a good drive...

Yes, the sequence of the flashes indicates the code.

Ill post it here to... Well so far everything is doing great EXCEPT backing up with the wheels turned. They start to hop and stop and almost stall the engine. I have no clue what this is, its in 4Auto to. I dont know how to describe it other than above. Turning going forward and everything else is fine, I can even back up straight perfectly. But when I am like backing out and turning the wheel it starts to bog down and the front wheels get choppy.

Thanks!

Back