How to: - 98 5.0 AWD Auto to 5spd M5R2 and 4406 M | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 98 5.0 AWD Auto to 5spd M5R2 and 4406 M

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Or maybe it's time to throw out the haynes manual...I have never gotten one piece of completely correct info from one on any truck I've had...But!!! It was right that my 87 takes 6 qts of 5w30....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a real ford cd off of ebay. They are so helpful. That is what I was looking at before when I posted.

If you get one for your year (1998 truck) then it will have everything correct down to the wire colors.

Most likely the wire colors on the DTR for my 99 are the same as your 98 so if you need to know which ones to jumper I can look it up.

The colors of the wires would be Tan & Red and Pink.

Get a real ford cd off of ebay. They are so helpful. That is what I was looking at before when I posted.Most likely the wire colors on the DTR for my 99 are the same as your 98 so if you need to know which ones to jumper I can look it up.
Yeah I have one actually, I was looking through that before.

The colors of the wires would be Tan & Red and Pink.
thanks i see that now too... and it worked! I got it started but now it sounds like flywheel may be rubbing up against the block plate because there is a loud kind of scraping metal on metal noise. It's not really affecting the engine because the engine runs fine. It almost sounds like if you took a screw driver and scraped it back and forth on a heat shield or something.

The block plate looked like it wold work on mine till i tightened it up. Mine was a mustang plate and the automatic one had an extra lip. It made this horrible grinding noise on the flywheel when I first started it. That was one of those things that remedied itself over time.lol I wasnt about to pull that thing back apart. Its possible that mine could have gotten bent a little.

I think I'm having the same problem now... you didn't do anything about it and it eventually cleared? haha... I wish I took more pictures when I had it out, I don't remember what it looked like now.

yeah. on mine the flywheel rubbed on a lip on the automatic block plate. it was maybe 3/16 or so. i figured out where it was coming from and just left it running for about 30. mins. i later bent it further back when i had my exhaust done while it was on the lift. on mine it didn't hurt a thing. it sounded baddd tho.

Haha... I'll have to pick a good time to let it do that so i don't drive the neighbors nuts...

I got the reverse lights working too. I just had to short wires Violet/Orange with Black/Pink with the truck in the on position. I'll post the schematics too.

Attachments

• starting.PNG
    starting.PNG
    34.7 KB · Views: 3,024
  • auto_reverse.PNG
    auto_reverse.PNG
    37.3 KB · Views: 3,006
  • reverse_manual.PNG
    reverse_manual.PNG
    23 KB · Views: 2,731

So can you now wire the reverse lights into something on the shifter mechanism or a sensor on the transmission itself?

Does the clutch mechanism have a switch of sorts that you could wire into the starting system to require the clutch to be depressed for starting?

Yeah this right here is the reverse switch. When I pop it into reverse I get continuity between the 2 pins so that actually works out perfect and I am going to just connect the 2 wires to the plug that I have for it.

Attachments

• reverse_switch.jpg
    reverse_switch.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 2,806

I got it started but now it sounds like flywheel may be rubbing up against the block plate because there is a loud kind of scraping metal on metal noise. It's not really affecting the engine because the engine runs fine. It almost sounds like if you took a screw driver and scraped it back and forth on a heat shield or something.

Are you absolutely certain you have the disk in the right direction?

Regardless, do NOT let this go like that. You have a bomb rotating inside that bellhousing. You sure don't want something exploding in there and coming through the floorboards.

Are you absolutely certain you have the disk in the right direction?
Are you talking about the clutch disc or the flywheel? The flywheel has an offset bolt pattern and will only go on one way. I know it's not the clutch disc because I have yet to even release the clutch yet. I still have to bleed it more, that's going to take some time apparently. Also the clutch only fits on 1 way, it would hit the flywheel bolts if it was backwards.

Regardless, do NOT let this go like that. You have a bomb rotating inside that bellhousing. You sure don't want something exploding in there and coming through the floorboards.
I'm trying to track down a block plate but not having much luck, I contacted some guy on ebay who sells all kinds of block plates for the 302 but he didn't have one for a 96 F150 302 w/ M5R2 and 164 tooth flywheel. If the noise doesn't go away after letting it idle for a little bit then I will probably try and replace the block plate, which I am not looking forward too. I think I remember now there was a small ripple in the block plate around the crank and I think the counterweight on the flywheel is just scraping it every time it goes around. I plan to mark the backside of the flywheel through the access hole then turn the engine over and see where it is hitting.

if the starter clicked, similar to a dead battery, then I dont think its a PATS or computer issue, I think its a power issue.

The started gets its ground from teh bellhousing, depending on your year and trans.

You may just need a ground strap to your starter bolt now?

Lets rule this out first, check for 12+V at the big starter feed, then check for 12V+ the smal signal wire when somebody else cranks the key

these starters need a ground some gen II trucks have a wire right to the starter some dont, I would confirm my grounds and check for power at the starter

I know Nick...but you would be surprised at the number of disks that get installed backwards...even by experienced techs. But it only happens once to them... :) If you haven't depressed the clutch that probably isn't it.

Also, make sure it isn't something hitting the fingers on your pressure plate. No use destroying a new plate!

Shoot...with all you've done and figured out...this will be a piece of cake for you to fix! I have a feeling you are going to love driving this thing.

if the starter clicked, similar to a dead battery, then I dont think its a PATS or computer issue, I think its a power issue...

Oops sorry Jamie, I think you are a little behind... I got the start wiring figured out now. Thanks for the input anyway.

LOL yes I am behind here, just sounded like the starter is not getting enough power, I have been absent a bit lately, 15 week old baby = wowsers

LOL yes I am behind here, just sounded like the starter is not getting enough power, I have been absent a bit lately, 15 week old baby = wowsers

no problem, wow congratulations!

Love your swap keep up the good work, im doing 5spd swap on my 97 SOHC 4dr lots of stuff is similar. I got my clutch pedal asembally from 98 Ranger and I have extra for next swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love your swap keep up the good work, im doing 5spd swap on my 97 SOHC 4dr lots of stuff is similar. I got my clutch pedal asembally from 98 Ranger and I have extra for next swap.

Thanks, yeah I saw your thread too, very nice... you get your clutch bled yet?

Back