How to: - 98 5.0 AWD Auto to 5spd M5R2 and 4406 M | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 98 5.0 AWD Auto to 5spd M5R2 and 4406 M

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I certainly hope that you didn't take that M5R2 out of a 4.6 or 5.4 truck... It MUST be from a 5.0 or a 4.9 I6 truck, as the bellhousing bolt patterns are different. I believe that the 5.8 only came with the ZF-S542 and ZF-S547 5 speeds, which if you had a BL and some custom fab you could make it work.
The 4.2L V6 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as a 5.0L. Also, compared to the M5R2 from 4.9/5.0, the M5R2 from the 97~2003 4.2L F150 application has a better shifter location for a Gen 2 Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4.2L V6 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as a 5.0L. Also, compared to the M5R2 from 4.9/5.0, the M5R2 from the 97~2003 4.2L F150 application has a better shifter location for a Gen 2 Explorer.

Yeah I realized that's what I mixed up now... the 4.2 is compatible with the 5.0 not the 4.6. I tracked down a couple different ones near me, a 99' with 50K listed for $500 and a 03' with only 3K listed for $700. I'm off on Tuesday I'll probably get it then and return my other one, along with the wrong rear drive shaft.

The rear shaft you will need is likely going to be different with a manual. Compare the lengths of the stock 4R70W to that manual, the difference will give you a number to work with.

Very good, that's what I was hinting towards. The shaft length of a slip yoke will work for a short range of needs. So you may not need a different shaft than the one others used with the BW406.

I just checked about the clutches on a for a 4.2 versus a 5.0, they are different, along with the input shaft length.

BTW any transfer case that has the round bolt pattern will bolt up, even most dodge and chevy cases.

I would review this very carefully, make some comparison measurements before you purchase it IE Input shaft length between a 4.2 and a 5.0 tranny, I did find this however:

Input Shaft:
REF # Part # Description
16 M5R2-16 M5R2 Input Shaft 88-95 11" Long
16 M5R2-16A M5R2 Input Shaft 96-on 11 3/8" Long

Yeah I was aware of that as well, Thanks a lot for your guys help. My thinking is that in 96 the 11 3/8" input shaft was used with the 5.0 and it was also used the next year with the 4.2, so on the input side I'm hoping everything should be compatible. What I'm wondering now is why the 97-98 4.2 is not interchangeable with the 99-04(according to car-part.com). I do see according to the parts websites it looks like after 98 they changed some syncros so it might just be internal only changes and they probably list them as non-interchangeable in case people want to pick up a tranny for parts.

I'll post this here for anyone that's interested in parts info...
http://www.mackstrans.com/MazdaFordM5R24x4.html

awesome hope this all works out well! have you found your gen II/98 clutch/brake pedal assembly yet?

awesome hope this all works out well! have you found your gen II/98 clutch/brake pedal assembly yet?

thanks... not yet, I'm off today and I was hoping to goto the yard to look but we've just had thunderstorms all day.

thanks... not yet, I'm off today and I was hoping to goto the yard to look but we've just had thunderstorms all day.

Keep an eye out for the pedal assembly from a manual Ranger of the same era - that should help expand your search.

Keep an eye out for the pedal assembly from a manual Ranger of the same era - that should help expand your search.

Yeah that's really what I was counting on, I don't have high expectations for actually finding an explorer with stick in the yard.

So I went and got another 03' M5R2 today except this one is for the 4.2, also it came with a little bonus, check out the pictures...

Attachments

• new_m5r2_side.jpg
    new_m5r2_side.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 3,891
  • bellhousing_comp.jpg
    bellhousing_comp.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 4,147
  • new_m5r2_back.jpg
    new_m5r2_back.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 3,516

BTW I have 10 days to return the other transmission, but there is a 20% restocking fee so I am trying to sell it(for what I bought it for) before I resort to returning it next week. I have it on craigslist, ebay, and a couple F150 forums, but if anyone knows anyone who might need it let me know.
Thanks.

Good pictures, I've been wanting to see the 5.0/4.6 bell housings side by side. They are actually close, the starter pocket seems to be the easiest way to tell them apart.

Yeah, before I return it I plan to take a bunch of measurements just for the sake of documenting it and I'll add them to the image (might as well get something for the 20% restocking fee I'll probably end up paying :)). Also I confirmed the rear shaft I got is definitely going to be too long. If I plug it into the t-case it has a range of 65" to 69" from the front of the t-case to the flange where as the current distance from the seam between the back of the 4r70w to the 8.8 flange is only like 61.5" (measure along the t-case and drive shaft).

are the shifters in the same location on both?

are the shifters in the same location on both?

Yep, they look identical except for the bell housing. You can see them better in this picture. These are both 03's though, the shifter location was different prior to 97, like in the second picture I got from ebay.

Attachments

• slide-IMG_6270.JPG-1247009585.jpg
    slide-IMG_6270.JPG-1247009585.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 3,935
  • !BN4CcPgBGk~$(KGrHgoOKicEjlLmZ3G2BJr3Jrli0w~~_1.JPG
    !BN4CcPgBGk~$(KGrHgoOKicEjlLmZ3G2BJr3Jrli0w~~_1.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 3,986

nice came with the 4406 shifter, that is a hard to find part!!

I see 5 speed exploders in the junk yards here in CO often, not as many as the auto's, but they are out there!!

nice came with the 4406 shifter, that is a hard to find part!!
I know, as I was negotiating the price on it I was trying to hold back my excitement about it coming with that. I gave up on trying to find one for my 1354 and fabbed one up but it it's never as good as the factory ones so I wasn't looking forward to doing that again.

I see 5 speed exploders in the junk yards here in CO often, not as many as the auto's, but they are out there!!
Oh really? If I don't find one in the next couple weeks, and if it's not too much of an inconvenience for you (if you are in the yard anyway) I wonder if you could grab one and I'll pay for your trouble and shipping?

Are people sure the pedal from a first gen explorer won't work? What about pre-98 rangers? Are the firewalls very different?

The firewalls are VERY different...

The Brake Pedal Hanger Bracket is TOTALLY different, the location of the throttle cable is also totally different.

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just thought I would update... My parts came in from autozone, so now all I need is the clutch pedal(dealer sells for $83 I found out) and a shifter.

Attachments

• flywheel.jpg
    flywheel.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,261
  • clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 3,203
  • clutch_line.jpg
    clutch_line.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 3,210
  • master_cylinder.jpg
    master_cylinder.jpg