• Register Today It's free!

98 5.0 awd coolant leak

bubs67z28

Reaction score
City, State
Surprise,AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 4door 5spd XLT
My daughter who resides in another state took her 98 5.0 awd Explorer into Firestone for them to check on a small coolant leek. They told her it was coming from the timing chain cover. $1900.00 estimate, (15hrs. labor).

I told her to take it to Ford and another shop for estimates.

Any idea on what this may cost?? That estimate seems high to me.

P. S. I bought this X brand new and gave it to here in 03 with 40,000 miles on it. It has been a good car for her and hopefully it will keep going.

Please advise on best avenue to take as I can't take care of it from out of state. Help!!!

Thank's for any help and info on this!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is a 3 dollar hose that you cant really see on top of the timing cover, when it leaks it makes it look like its coming from the timing cover, just take it to a small shop, big shops love fing people over.

If this is really the issue... Wow.. that's all I can say... I hate shops.. I never trust them.

i own a shop and i don't #### ppl over.

I'm not saying all shops are bad, I don't like most of them but there are good ones out there. I had to get my shift kit installed somewhere. =P

Timing cover coolant leak

RE: 98 AWD 5.0 with coolant leak around timing cover. It could be the long bolts on water pump that go into or through front timing cover as some of the threads are in the coolant. Maybe they have come loose some or the sealant could have worn away.

I recently replaced water pump on my 97 5.0 sealing the heck out of it and even let sit 24hrs for sealant to dry at its max. I started the next day no leaks around gasket but after a couple drives noticed some coolant around timing cover above water pump. I had put some old teflon tape around ends of bolts when replacing pump since I noticed some of the long bolts were wet; so I thought this might have been my problem I should have used thread sealant.

So yesterday being confident gasket sealed, I drained coolant pulled and replaced bolts one at a time so not to have to redo gasket. I cleaned bolts with wire brush put some Permatex High Temp Thread Sealent (comes in a white tube) on bolt threads and my preferred Permatex Ultra Cooper High Temp Sealant by heads of bolts blew air from compressor into holes and put bolts in like I said one at a time. After letting sit overnight about 20 hours, I refilled coolant checked for leaks after start up saw none. I took for a drive got the system hot no leaks so far and area where was leaking is drying up from heat.

I hope this does the trick according to my Chilton service manual it says you have to pull the motor to remove and replace gasket on front timing cover on this motor.

Thank you all for your input on this problem. I will pass it on to my Daughter and have her take it to another shop, armed with this info.
My son-in-law is serving in the armed forces :salute: and they don't have alot of disposable income for an expensive repair bill.

Thank's again, Rick :usa:

Do you really need to pull the engine to replace the timing cover gasket

Does you know if you really need to pull the engine to replace the Timing cover gasket on the V8?

Back