98' 5.0 Explorer exhaust manifold swap question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98' 5.0 Explorer exhaust manifold swap question?

fastmark

Reaction score
City, State
Mpls MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
Hi all, I have been researching the exhaust manifold exchange possibility. I have a 98' eddie bauer explorer with 5.0 engine. I want to put a dual exhaust on to help gas mileage and performance. Now I know that I can buy headers for it, but it's not a race car and I'm not going to spend $850. I am wondering if a 94-95 302 cobra cast iron manifold would work? How about a GT? As a long time racer I am appalled at the poor exhaust on this engine (choke-choke!! ):eek: I have looked at the engine and maybe another manifold would work. Has anyone done this and if so what would work? I have done several searches and come up empty-handed. Thanks in advance guys, Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only headers that will work is the Torque monster headers. The clearance is not there on the drivers side because of the steering shaft.

The only headers that will work is the Torque monster headers. The clearance is not there on the drivers side because of the steering shaft.

Thanks, but I dont want any headers. Is their any cast iron manifolds that will work? Mark

No due to the engine compartment your only options are stock or the torque monster headers. Regular manifolds wont clear the steering shaft

I've looked into getting headers for my 2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0 and what everyone is saying on these forums is true. Torque Monster headers are amazing, but you can't buy them anymore and a lot of people spent the money and haven't gotten their headers after years of waiting. I will be looking into buying cheap Mustang short headers and trying to modify them. Another thing I saw looking under my Grandpa's 05 F150 was those steering shafts are double jointed and angle out toward the driver's side body. Something to look into, I couldn't tell you the exact price but I know it's under $200 for a brand new shaft, not sure if it'll fit and it's a little bit of work to put on in even if you've got a lift and the right equipment. But if you're really interested, something to look into because it might give clearance. You'll want to run it by someone with automotive expierence and see what they suggest about the steering shaft. I will be.

Not sure switching out the shaft would change the shaft angle.

Back