• Register Today It's free!

'98 5.0 L, AWD Code 402

gregars

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
My 1998 5.0L AWD Explorer has an intermitant "check engine" light that comes on. A friend with a portable reader told me it said code 402. The check engine light is off more than it is on, but when it is on, the engine seems to ping under load, like I got cheap gas. Does this make sense? What is my problem? How do I fix? Any feedback would be appreciated. Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome Greg. P0402 is "Exhaust gas recirculation flow excessive detected". Something is kaput in the EGR system, and that would indeed cause the pinging with the MIL on.

I'm not that familiar with the EGR setup on the 5.0's, but I'd suspect the EGR valve is sticking open, since the code's so intermittant. Solution might be as simple as cleaning the EGR valve.....I'm sure some 5.0 owners will chime in here.

Actually, I suspect something a bit different

Got ticking noise under load? On passenger side?

Look closely at the exhaust manifold, egr tube, and hoses from egr tube to dpfe sensor.
It is common for the passenger side manifold to crack--under the heat shield where you cannot see it. Listen under hood while someone revs engine, listen for an exhaust leak,

Ebay has the perfect solution for this. Its called an EGR simulator. Works wonders, sending the computer an "alls well" signal and you can bypass the egr system completely:thumbsup:

Ebay has the perfect solution for this. Its called an EGR simulator. Works wonders, sending the computer an "alls well" signal and you can bypass the egr system completely:thumbsup:

Yes,
and you will burn thru your engine sooner ( if it will even work to fool the dpfe sensor--which I am told it will not.
The egr cools combustion chambers, and is the leading reason newer engines last so long.

Do not remove any emmissions device.

Stang99x we cannot condone removing emissions devices or cat converters, etc on this forum, it is illegal to do so. This is a rule as per the administrators of this forum.
You need to check with your local emissions laws to determine what is and what is not legal where your truck is registered.

You can learn alot about Ford EGR systems here:
Fordfuelinjection.com

Thank you all for the advice. Sounds like I should start by cleaning the ERG valve. Any idea where is it and what should I use to clean it? Thanks.

Back