• Register Today It's free!

98 5.0 mountaineer coolent leak

TKZ

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
OK, I have a 98 5.0 with 141,000 miles and it is leaking coolant,from the front of the engine running down to the block/pan on the drivers side.I have read the posts about the timing cover gaskets leaking, do all the V8s end up leaking? I was thinking (hoping!)it mite be the water pump because there is a squeak noise that sounded like the idler pulley bearings,but replaced them-still squeaks. Does anyone have a good test to eliminate the water pump?
does not lose a lot of coolant from the reservoir but sure does make a mess on the bottom of the truck and keep dripping after it is shut off.
Truck does not over heat and there is no coolant in the oil.
Thanks

This site is great !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a few things to check.
Unfortunately, in order to really see what is happening you need to remove the serpentine belt and fan. Sorry.

There might be a leak in the oil cooler, the lower rad hose connection to it-or the short hose between the cooler and water pump.

The water pump, or a small bypass hose could also leak.

However, you are in luck, as you need to remove the serpentine anyway to find your squeek.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161590&highlight=chirp

if you d see a timing cover leak, see if the corresponding bolt is snug. You might get lucky.

It is ok during cold weather to run the truck without the fan to search for the leak, and, higher coolant temps will usually make the leak worse, making it easier to find. Just keep an eye on your temp gauge if you run the engine over 5 minutes.

do all the V8s end up leaking?

I've got a 5.0 with 80,000 miles with no coolant leaks. I've heard lots of quirks about the V8, but coolant leaks aren't one of them. Exhaust leaks are another story. :D

Good luck.

could be a hose clamp rusted and broke off.

small bypass hose could also leak.

The thermostat housing gasket in that area occasionally goes bad as well.

Picture of the area I'm talking about:
5126113846_740a67ae15_z.jpg

thank you all very much , I will remove the fan and belt tonight
I will let you know what i find
thanks again!

yea, I have a Exhaust leak as well but it seals up once is hot.

Back