98 AWD Limited Hi/low range transfer case swap. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 AWD Limited Hi/low range transfer case swap.

Got a AWD with no low range. Thinking about converting to a Hi/lo. Push button or not. I think it would be nice to have the four inch lift on command and a low range too. Any body have any info on the conversion? Where could i find a complete setup? Can't afford an Atlas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by drnaline
I think it would be nice to have the four inch lift on command and a low range too.

What the hell is that?!?!? I've NEVER heard of it, could someone fill me in? :rolleyes:
Pete

What vehicles have this? And, does it lift both the front and rear? Something tells me it doesn't raise the front with torsion bars... And I can only guess that this in on newer trucks...
Pete

On the newer explorers (98+ ??) one of the options is the air-leveling suspension. It is front and rear. And on the 4x4 equipped vehicles, when put in 4Lo, it raises the truck up to 2".

As for swapping an AWD T-case for a 4wd T-case, although they would probably swap easily physically, you would either need the 4x4 computer, switch, etc, or a manual shift T-case out of an older explorer, where you would need to cut a hole in your floorboard and probably ditch the center console. As for the air-ride suspension working with all that. . .good luck.

98 AWD

My 98 is full time 4X4. The button on the dash just says normal ride/ off road, When you turn it it raises the truck to about 3.5 to 4" and at high way speeds it lowers the truck about an inch. No 4Lo. I don't think there would be any complications between the air ride and the low range transfer case. I'm kinda leaning towards the push button transfer so i don't have to cut any holes. If i find the transfer I will probably buy the rest of the system from ford. Switch, harness. etc. What i need to know is whats the phisical difference? will the same front and rear shafts still bolt up? Any info?

Gee wouldn't it be easier to just slap on 4 airshocks and hook them up to a compressor with a switch on the dash?? then you could go 0"- 4" lift on demand...:D

Originally posted by RFR2212
What vehicles have this? And, does it lift both the front and rear? Something tells me it doesn't raise the front with torsion bars... And I can only guess that this in on newer trucks...
Pete

Range Rovers have done this for years. Its done with airbags. They lower when you park so its easier to get out then raise up when it "senses" the road getting rocky then lower down when speeds are fast enough.

Dead Link Removed

See if that works.

Originally posted by Campo
Gee wouldn't it be easier to just slap on 4 airshocks and hook them up to a compressor with a switch on the dash?? then you could go 0"- 4" lift on demand...:D
That IS the exact system on the Ex that he is talking about.

I did not realize that with the AWD system you also had a switch to raise the truck. . .thought it was only on the 4x4 in 4lo.

You're telling me, 4 air shock actually do the lifting? That's like negative pressure on the rear springs and torsion bars... positive pressure being just the downward force/compression, sorta thing
Well, my buddy has a 97 limited w/ 4 auto high and low, never seemed to notice it lift, an to my knowledge, our 2001 with awd doesnt have any normal/offroad switch
Pete

I don't think that this is a very common option. . .I don't have it either, but read about it in the manual. My dad's expedition has a similar system, but only for the rear.

I'm familiar with load leveling... Also, air shocks won't lift yer truck, just stiffen or soften the ride.
Pete

The load leveling shocks on an explorer have built in airbags and and adjustable shock valving. On AWDs that have the air suspension there is an normal ride/off-road dial where the 4x4 dial is on other explorers. When the dial is on normal it levels the truck if there is load on the front or back (cargo/people). It can't lower the truck any lower than the torsion bars or springs allow, it only levels it to that point.

When you turn the dial to "Off-Road" it raises the whole truck 2-2.5" (not sure exactly, never measured). Now this wouldn't be good on the street because of increased tire wear but off road its like having an on/off torsion twist and shackle lift.

On top of this, the shocks have electronic valves to slightly firm and/or soften the dampening of the shocks. When in off-road mode the shocks are at their firmest. When on-road the shocks are at softest until the computer senses certain inputs (steering, braking, acceleration, rough roads, etc.) and then it will up the dampening as needed.

Explorers with the 4-wheel air shocks also have softer torsion bars and rear springs to help the ride.

The 4-wheel load leveling was used from 96(?)-98 and then the 99+'s only used rear load leveling.

Hi'Lo transfer

Thats the whole reason I wanted to try the conversion. I hangglide as a hobby and often have two , three hang gliders on top off a custom rack i made. Four people for launch crew, plus harness and other equipment. And going up some rough terrain there just isn't enough power to over come the hill with just Hi range. Lo range would be very nice to have for my hobby. So i would like to have the best of both worlds.

Originally posted by CougarX
The load leveling shocks on an explorer have built in airbags and and adjustable shock valving. On AWDs that have the air suspension there is an normal ride/off-road dial where the 4x4 dial is on other explorers. When the dial is on normal it levels the truck if there is load on the front or back (cargo/people). It can't lower the truck any lower than the torsion bars or springs allow, it only levels it to that point.

When you turn the dial to "Off-Road" it raises the whole truck 2-2.5" (not sure exactly, never measured). Now this wouldn't be good on the street because of increased tire wear but off road its like having an on/off torsion twist and shackle lift.

On top of this, the shocks have electronic valves to slightly firm and/or soften the dampening of the shocks. When in off-road mode the shocks are at their firmest. When on-road the shocks are at softest until the computer senses certain inputs (steering, braking, acceleration, rough roads, etc.) and then it will up the dampening as needed.

Explorers with the 4-wheel air shocks also have softer torsion bars and rear springs to help the ride.

The 4-wheel load leveling was used from 96(?)-98 and then the 99+'s only used rear load leveling.

CougarX is right. I think the air system was optional on 95+98 explorer eddie bauers and standard on limited? Then in 99 they went to only rear load leveling (for a reason which I still can;t understand) and I think in '02 they did away with the load leveling?

SOmeone also said once that they had the air system installed on a 2 door from the factory. i wish I had the air system! The aftermarket air bags suck. the ride on our 94 E150 van that has rear air shocks is terrable. We have the firestone ride-rite air springs installed on the van and the minimum you can inflate them is 20 PSI, which causes a very rough ride. i guess it would be good for off roading, but you can kiss your articulation goodbye!

articulation

Got a buddy working on a set of quick disconnects for the front and rear swaybar. It can't be any worse I dont think.

as far as the loadleveling or airbags go....

2001 sports DONT HAVE IT. i am familiar with both.

i never heard of the awd 98's that raised the truck up and down 2"... thats pretty bad ass.

i wonder if the new mountaneer has that..??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lifted AWD

I talked to some guys at Ford and they said it accually should lift it three to four inches. Thats how the system was designed. I would be nice to have lo range on the transfer case too.

Back