98 driver side fog light lens

chefduane

Texas Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX.
Year, Model & Trim Level
None: SOLD 9/16
I'm looking for a fog light lens unit for a '98 SOHC. I need just the clear lens with the plastic backing, not the whole mounting assembly. RA has the whole unit, not just the lens housing. I've got a PM into Pedstang to see if he has one also. I'm thinking my local yard would have one but it is 30+ miles away. Anybody ever seen just the lens unit anywhere?
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think the lens is available separately (or even separates from the reflective part). If the '98 fog light is the round one (like on the 99-01 Explorers) I know for a fact it is all one piece.

Its the rectangular one. You are correct, the lens does not separate from the black plastic reflective housing. That is the part I need. I need the lens and the reflective housing together, not the metal mounting bracket.

When I needed one for my '00 XLT I found a used one on eBay. It came with the bracket (which I didn't need) but I liked that the glass lens was equally weathered to my other light.

Yes, I found a set on Ebay for $50, but I only need one. I believe they are identical. Also, the ones on my '98 are plastic, not glass. I figure if I can find a used one I'll just clean up the lens with some rubbing compound.

I know of a New Old Stock rectangular one on eBay for $29.99 shipped... :shifty_ey

Yeah, I don't think I want to spend that much. Heard from Pedstang and he doesn't have one either. I think a run to the JY will be in my future.

Edit: On a positive note, O'Reilly just broke ground on a new store going in just walking distance from my house! Now when the Ex is up on stands and I need another part, I won't have to bum a ride! Woo-hoo!

I think I might have one or two of my old ones laying around. Cracked lens, on both, I think. All yours if you want something to work with if yours is totally busted out.

All rectangular fog lights I have ran across in the junkyard were either cracked, totally faded dull, busted out, or missing. Any that were remotely decent were cracked upon closer look :rant:

I think both sides are the same light with different mounting brackets...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322581&highlight=foglight

Both lenses and reflectors are the same with different mounting hardware. Yes, I would be interested if the lens is reparable in some way. What happended with mine is that I noticed it was just flopping around and the little screw that holds the mount on was broken off. So the screw stud that is in the reflector is sheared and there is no way I can get it out without breaking the housing. I just don't want to pop for $35 at RA for a new lens/reflector and mount if I don't have to.

Send me a PM to remind me to dig in my garage...

For what it's worth, I just went through a similar process getting my inoperative fog lights going. The passenger side was destroyed, so I got a new one from Rock Auto since there was nothing really good available at local junk yards. Even with shipping, it was half the price local parts stores wanted for a new part and it's a nice part too.

I tried to restore the driver's lens with a 3M kit. It helped, but there was such a difference in illumination between the new and old lights that I bought a second new one from RA for the driver's side. It made a difference and looks good too. I think I posted photos of the final outcome here ==> https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438710

Cheers,

Lonnie, do you still have the old lens/reflector? I would be interested in that if I can't find another source. I'm really not that concerned about lighting quality as I have KC Hilites driving lights installed. It's that right now I have the wiring hanging loose below the front valance. I just want to get something installed.

I'm really not that concerned about lighting quality as I have KC Hilites driving lights installed. It's that right now I have the wiring hanging loose below the front valance. I just want to get something installed.

Mine were absolutely useless even with 100w bulbs installed.
It didn't help that the fogs would only come on with high beam and I never found an off switch.

They were both glass lenses, Hella and the lenses came off the metal reflector housing.

If you just want something to go in the hole wouldn't LEDs be better?

Send me a PM to remind me to dig in my garage...

X2 Chef. I have a 4 day weekend coming up starting tomorrow night. Just sold my '98 Sport and I had taken the fogs out a couple months ago. I may still have them in my garage in a box of spare 2nd gen lights. Just need to find the box.

Looks like Toypaseo has some that will work out pretty good. Doing a deal right now.
Thanks for all the feedback and offers to help out! I appreciate it!!

Lonnie, do you still have the old lens/reflector? I would be interested in that if I can't find another source. I'm really not that concerned about lighting quality as I have KC Hilites driving lights installed. It's that right now I have the wiring hanging loose below the front valance. I just want to get something installed.

Sorry, no, I trashed the old one. I probably should have kept it for a spare, but I've got way too much stuff in my garage now.

Regards,

Back