98 EB with 5.0 V8 - hesitation and CEL blinks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 EB with 5.0 V8 - hesitation and CEL blinks

-=c=-

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
We have a 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 5.0 V8, it has around 102k miles.

Lately it's been hesitating pretty bad during medium acceleration, especially when cold, and yesterday we went out of town (160 miles) and with cruise control on, when we went up a hill on the interstate the CEL would blink a few times and then go off.

So....HELP!

:)

I'm not mechanically inclined, but...

My thoughts are to start with replacing the plugs, and plug wires, since I don't think they ever have been. What about distributor cap?

Any suggestions welcome...I don't want my wife to be without a car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's probably the plugs/wires. It's long over due anyways. :D

Thanks! Any recommendations on plugs and wires? Or maybe a link here?

I called the local Ford dealer and they want $8.27/each for Motorcraft plugs, the coil is $121 and the wire set is $217.

That's just crazy, when I can find Bosch plugs for $2.20 each, etc.

But I want something that's gonna last another 30k miles and won't screw up the engine.

I would go with some Autolite plugs and pretty much any 8mm wire for the Explorer you can find. Motorcraft is good stuff and I think you can find it is stores other than Ford.

You probably don't need new coil packs (you have two).

OK, so a simple trip to Autozone or simliar will do and just about anything they sell is fine?

I guess the better question is, any particular brands or styles to avoid? I just want a stock running truck, nothing fancy for the misses.

I just put 8 new Motorcraft plugs (from Autozone) and the Autozone plug wires and it made a huge difference. Dont go to the stealership when you dont need to. Also, you may want to clean the MAF and look at the IAC. Both are easy to clean / replace if need be. You can do a search for tons of info...

lrlima said:
I just put 8 new Motorcraft plugs (from Autozone) and the Autozone plug wires and it made a huge difference. Dont go to the stealership when you dont need to. Also, you may want to clean the MAF and look at the IAC. Both are easy to clean / replace if need be. You can do a search for tons of info...

Thanks! I went by Autozone at lunch and found the Bosch platinum plugs on sale for $2.18 and they have a $1 rebate each, so around $10 for 8 plugs AR ain't bad.

I went with the regular Duralast (autozone) wire set too for $49. The Bosch set was $62. So decent deal overall.

Yea, I have a similar situation. But mine just falls on it's face, like you kinked the fuel line. and then let go . BUT... only have noticed it when turning left (accellorating through a light after being stopped) E.B. 1998 5.0
I would have a hard time believing that's from plugs or wires though.....replaced fuel filter,cleaned MAF and IAC
I thought ,"maybe the fuel pump'', But it doesn't do it uphill or under a load

Thanks! I went by Autozone at lunch and found the Bosch platinum plugs on sale for $2.18 and they have a $1 rebate each, so around $10 for 8 plugs AR ain't bad.

I went with the regular Duralast (autozone) wire set too for $49. The Bosch set was $62. So decent deal overall.

Going with BOTCH plugs was a BIG MISTAKE. You'll be replacing them in no time as FORD's HATE them.

I take an Auto Tech class and when the CEL Blinks like that it means that is misfire on multiple cylinders. so like everybody else said its most likely plug wires. the likely hood of multiple spark plugs being bad is slim but the wires could be bad. or you could have a bad coil pack and is an intermittent problem.

Yea, I have a similar situation. But mine just falls on it's face, like you kinked the fuel line. and then let go . BUT... only have noticed it when turning left (accellorating through a light after being stopped) E.B. 1998 5.0
I would have a hard time believing that's from plugs or wires though.....replaced fuel filter,cleaned MAF and IAC
I thought ,"maybe the fuel pump'', But it doesn't do it uphill or under a load

Is the CEL on or blinking?

I take an Auto Tech class and when the CEL Blinks like that it means that is misfire on multiple cylinders. so like everybody else said its most likely plug wires. the likely hood of multiple spark plugs being bad is slim but the wires could be bad. or you could have a bad coil pack and is an intermittent problem.

Blinking CEL means misfire on one OR more cylinders, it does not mean there are multiple misfires. For instance, on my 98 mounty 5.0 I had a misfire on cylinder 7 and that caused the CEL to blink whenever it misfired (pulled codes showed code for misfire on cylinder 7 only, not multiple misfires, or misfires on random cylinders). Turned out to be a defective spark plug wire (wire was only about 2000miles old).

My cel light has never come on ,or blinked, blank, or blunked !
just cuts off for a second or 2. Then right back on .
No lights or codes ! thats what made me first look at the maf sensor. Seen lots of fords not show any codes for months until the maf gets really bad.

I had a cherokee 4x4 that the ignition switch on the bottom of the column(steering)
was doing something wierd like this.
Has anyone had that trouble with the explorer?

Going with BOTCH plugs was a BIG MISTAKE. You'll be replacing them in no time as FORD's HATE them.

Ya know, I've seen this all over the site.. and even many personal experiences from members giving bad reports. But I actually found and was shocked.. the +4's in a 5.4L .. come to find out.. the 5.4L's come with them stock. I guess they're just no good in our application and some older ford engines. Autolite is the way to go either way... when I was working on a 5.4L awhile back.. took out the Bosche and put in Autolight [they all needed changed anyways, along with most of the coils.

Ya know, I've seen this all over the site.. and even many personal experiences from members giving bad reports. But I actually found and was shocked.. the +4's in a 5.4L .. come to find out.. the 5.4L's come with them stock. I guess they're just no good in our application and some older ford engines. Autolite is the way to go either way... when I was working on a 5.4L awhile back.. took out the Bosche and put in Autolight [they all needed changed anyways, along with most of the coils.

That's probably why so many 5.4's shoot plugs lol

Haha... hate that prob.

Back