• Register Today It's free!

98 Eddie Bauer Rear Diff Leak

morbid81

Reaction score
City, State
Keller,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 5.0L AWD Eddie Bauer
I noticed the gasket leaking on the bell housing of my 98 Eddie bauer, is this a PITA job to do or something as simple as a oil change? Im not afraid to rip a car apart or get dirty. Im still kinda learning with dad's help. When it comes to drive line stuff that is like walking on holy ground for me and Im back and forth about tampering with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, you say rear end leak. Then you say bell housing, two different things here. The bell housing is the front of the transmission where either the clutch (manual), or the torque convertor (automatic) is located. What you are refering to on the rear end is the rear cover on what is commonly called the pumpkin, where the ring and pinion gears are located. Very easy, but can be messy repair. You need to drain the gear oil, pull the cover and reseal it. When I did mine, I used RTV silicone instead of a new gasket. Been well over a year, no leaks. Just be sure to thoroughly clean the cover before using the silicone.

Searched the forum. I remember that there is a member posting a video to describe how to do it. It doesn;t seem to be too difficult.

Yea i know its called a pumpkin, I refer to it as the bell housing that is the technical term for it.

Thats the first time in 65 years I have heard it called a bell housing. Any body else heard it called that? Please let me know.

I guess when you are "still kind of learning"... sometimes a few things get "confused" and don't ring the right bell ... :)

Yea i know its called a pumpkin, I refer to it as the bell housing that is the technical term for it.

in my 65 years, i've heard it called a pumpkin, but never a bell housing. the bell housing surrounds your flywheel area. technical term for the pumpkin is differential. so which is it that's leakling?

My bell housing wasn't sealed to the engine either time I've pulled it?

If it is indeed the rear diff cover you should follow the RTV instructions.

I've had one leak when I just RTV'd it and bolted it right up.

If you read the instructions it says something like get all the bolts finger tight, wait an hour and torque to spec. Never had one leak following that.

If you can get your hands on it, Loctite 515 Gasket Eliminator is really good stuff. It's used on axles and transmissions here at work and when properly applied, has never leaked. Easy to use too, and won't cure on you before you get parts together. In fact, it will only cure when your parts are together as it's the lack of oxygen that causes it to cure. Very sticky, and looks like grape jelly.

Just be sure that the mating surface on the diff and the diff cover are completely clean and hit them with a buffing pad, apply the 515 in a thin but continuous bead, and then torque to spec immediately. I'd wait about an hour or two before filling it though.

Also, I've never heard a diff called a bellhousing either, and I've been wrenching professionally for the last 8 years.

Feldco does make gaskets for the 8.8 that work fine & cost all of about $6 at most parts stores.

Back