• Register Today It's free!

98 EGR tube (4.0 V6 OHV)

brukshut

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 V6
Greetings all, searched the forum for this, didn't find anything so if someone has any info or if this has been discussed help a brother out.

Got a 98 XLT V6 OHV, 115K miles. I have a new EGR valve I'd like to put in. I'd fixed my lean codes by replacing all gaskets and vac lines on my intake, and while I was doing it thought I'd swap out my rusted old EGR valve with a new one in the interests of fuel economy and a smoother idle.

Just wondering if it was worth it. The EGR tube seems in OK shape, I'm not sure how hard it will be to remove it considering age of truck (115K miles, been garaged its whole life in NJ). I've got a 10 inch adjustable wrench and a bucket of PB blaster but I don't want to damage the tube trying to get it off if it's stubborn to remove.

I also had a question about cleaning the tube, assuming it removes easily. There's bound to be carbon build up in there, is it worth cleaning or trying to replace?

And on to my third question, for the life of me I cannot find any 98 EGR lines for a V6 OHV. I can find one for the 93-94 explorer V6 but it looks different (similar to V8 EGR line made by doorman).

These EGR lines (93-94 V6, 98-up V8 and SOHC V6) have DFPE vac lines/tubes that run parallel to the body of the main EGR tube itself, while my EGR Line (98 V6 OHV) has vac lines that extend straight out, i.e. perpendicular to the EGR tube itself.

Can you buy V6 EGR lines for 98 OHVs? Can you use the 93-94 one? Or the V8/SOHC one?

Or is it true that they no longer make these tubes for my year? And I'm **** out of luck and forced to try and remove and clean my EGR tube?

I don't want to damage my tube trying to get it off...any one have any input on any of these concerns, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump. Anyone get the V8 model EGR tube to work with V6? Will 94 EGR tube (V6) work fit? Anyone have a part number for a EGR tube for a V6 OHV?

Greetings all, searched the forum for this, didn't find anything so if someone has any info or if this has been discussed help a brother out.

Got a 98 XLT V6 OHV, 115K miles. I have a new EGR valve I'd like to put in. I'd fixed my lean codes by replacing all gaskets and vac lines on my intake, and while I was doing it thought I'd swap out my rusted old EGR valve with a new one in the interests of fuel economy and a smoother idle.

Just wondering if it was worth it. The EGR tube seems in OK shape, I'm not sure how hard it will be to remove it considering age of truck (115K miles, been garaged its whole life in NJ). I've got a 10 inch adjustable wrench and a bucket of PB blaster but I don't want to damage the tube trying to get it off if it's stubborn to remove.

I also had a question about cleaning the tube, assuming it removes easily. There's bound to be carbon build up in there, is it worth cleaning or trying to replace?

And on to my third question, for the life of me I cannot find any 98 EGR lines for a V6 OHV. I can find one for the 93-94 explorer V6 but it looks different (similar to V8 EGR line made by doorman).

These EGR lines (93-94 V6, 98-up V8 and SOHC V6) have DFPE vac lines/tubes that run parallel to the body of the main EGR tube itself, while my EGR Line (98 V6 OHV) has vac lines that extend straight out, i.e. perpendicular to the EGR tube itself.

Can you buy V6 EGR lines for 98 OHVs? Can you use the 93-94 one? Or the V8/SOHC one?

Or is it true that they no longer make these tubes for my year? And I'm **** out of luck and forced to try and remove and clean my EGR tube?

I don't want to damage my tube trying to get it off...any one have any input on any of these concerns, thanks.

Yes, people have twisted their tubes trying to remove them. Without lots of heat you are likely to damage it.

Also, Why do you want to change the tube? Is it leaking? Are you throwing codes? Leave it alone otherwise. A clogged tube will certainly trigger a code, and has nothing to do with rough idle. The tube should be replaced only if it has holes in it.

Thanks for the response. My EGR tube looks OK, I don't need to replace it. I do have a new EGR valve though, was thinking to replace my old one, which looks as though it's seen better days.

My concern was damaging the tube during removal of the old EGR valve. My tube is fine now as I said, I just don't want to damage it during removal of old EGR valve.

Is replacing the EGR vavle (not the tube) worth risking damaging the tube, I suppose that's what I'm asking. BTW, there are no codes which necessitate replacing EGR valve. I inherited truck and I was fixing all vacuum lines and decided to replace EGR valve while I'm at it.

Worth the trouble or no? Thanks much for any replies.

Just found this posting on removing EGR line and/or tube.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225563

Looks like the best bet is to heat both nuts on each end of tube with small torch, then hit with PB blaster. My valve is in good shape, very little rust on nuts or threads that are exposed, so hopefully will come off.

I'd like to clean the tube and have a new Standard EGR valve to replace the old one. I'll have to tackle this project slowly, make sure I get a torch first and try that route.

As for EGR tube, looks like you can get one from Ford dealer if you need one, $156 is a rip off for sure.

If/when I tackle this, will keep you posted, as always, thanks for reading this and for any replies.

Thanks for the response. My EGR tube looks OK, I don't need to replace it. I do have a new EGR valve though, was thinking to replace my old one, which looks as though it's seen better days.

My concern was damaging the tube during removal of the old EGR valve. My tube is fine now as I said, I just don't want to damage it during removal of old EGR valve.

Is replacing the EGR vavle (not the tube) worth risking damaging the tube, I suppose that's what I'm asking. BTW, there are no codes which necessitate replacing EGR valve. I inherited truck and I was fixing all vacuum lines and decided to replace EGR valve while I'm at it.

Worth the trouble or no? Thanks much for any replies.

Without codes or issues it is not suggested. There are better places to spend money. The valve is very unlikely to fail, usually the DPFE sensor has issues.

Thanks for input, that's what I was looking for. Gracias.

Found a new EGR tube at my local Ford dealership (in Manhattan), cost around $50 bucks. I realized you need a 1 1/16 line wrench for the nuts -- sorta odd sized for a line wrench. Found one on ebay. Having a tough time getting those nuts to turn, don't want to force it even though line wrench is snug. Will have to put a torch to the tube, most likely...

Mine came free with buckets of PB and a crowfoot wrench of the right size. I did soak it down maybe three times a day over the course of two days before I applied wrenches. My open end and/or crescent wrench didn't cut it. The crowfoot let me get better leverage without the potential of bloody knuckles.

Back