• Register Today It's free!

98 EX, Locking Hub Questions

SWIGIN

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
79 Bronco , 98 Explorer
I have a 98 EX and am thinking hard on doing the 98 Ranger unit bearing, half shaft, locking hub swap.

I've been searching the interweb and people seem to dislike the AVM/Rugged Ridge locking hubs and have them break since they have a plastic body from what I've read.

Mile Marker makes some that have aluminum bodies and of course they cost more but they might be worth it.

I need unit bearings anyway and my half shafts are an unknown age so I'm thinking about gathering up the Ranger parts since the lockouts would go nicely with my 4406 and I just prefer lockouts being old school.

My question is that I can't find any threads new enough that they used the Mile Marker hubs. Every thread I find they use the plastic hubs and then ***** about breaking them. Has anyone here used the Mile Marker hubs and are they worth the extra cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it is worth it, being able to have a 2 low is nice for boat launching etc, I have locking hubs on my 98 ex that is totaled, I am going to be moving the whole front end to my 98 mounty that I bought a couple months ago.

Totally not asking if doing the swap is worth it.

I'm asking if mile marker hubs are worth the extra money.

I have the AVMs and honestly you would have to be doing something crazy to break them , like rock crawling , as far as putting them under heavy load , i pulled a 97 f 550 with the long frame utility body ,crane , compressor , welder/generator, and flat tires , it had been sitting for a long time and we needed to move it to get to another car , so i put the 4406 in low and with front and rear tires digging pulled it about 25 feet , pretty good stress test imo

Thank you.

I think the way people can break them is by taking tires on and off. If you arent VERY careful, it can put the weight of the wheel/tire on the plastic part of the locking hub. They probably wont break during use, just be careful when changing tires, and make sure you check them before and after going to a tire shop, they might be sketchy and break it and not tell you. I also run them with the factory hub caps on which should provide some protection in every day usage.

Sounds good, thanks.

I have the AVMs and honestly you would have to be doing something crazy to break them , like rock crawling , as far as putting them under heavy load , i pulled a 97 f 550 with the long frame utility body ,crane , compressor , welder/generator, and flat tires , it had been sitting for a long time and we needed to move it to get to another car , so i put the 4406 in low and with front and rear tires digging pulled it about 25 feet , pretty good stress test imo

Oh wow, that would have made a cool video for sure, a little Explorer Sport drags an F550. I'd watch that kind of video all day long.

How much extra are the mile markers? Have you got a link to where they can be ordered? Considering the swap myself.

Most places sell them for $200 give or take but ebay had a few in the $160-$170 range.

Most places sell them for $200 give or take but ebay had a few in the $160-$170 range.
I may look into doing the Mile Marker hubs, definitely swapping to a disconnected front hub setup in the next few months. The 73 Mustang fastback is down for the count at the moment, so I think I'll turn my attention back to the truck. Hubs, Transgo Shift Kit and maybe Torque Monster Headers may be in my immediate future.

I know this is an older thread but I’m doing the manual locking hubs on an explorer and was wanting to know how the seals go in the knuckle.

I just hammered them in like any other seal.

Back