98 Exp Sport font end conersion to 3rd generation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Exp Sport font end conersion to 3rd generation

cmj141

Reaction score
City, State
Scranton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
hey, i have to repair my front end and was wondering if it's possible to put the fenders, hood, grill, bumper of a 3rd generation on my 2nd gen explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Short answer is no.

BUT I have seen 01 sport ..ranger..and sport track front clips on second Gen body's

You can order fiberglass, other then that you may end up taking all that these attach to.
As in you'll have to rip off the parts the fenders and front end attach to. ALOT of work, but then again it's up to you. 2002 the explorer pretty much got a complete revamp. As in seats won't fit in a 2001 or older, nor will almost every single other part. It's different if we were talking about a ranger. They didn't change size wise.

The way to make it work when going between 2nd gen explorers and different gens of rangers is to cut off the front of your old fenders, graft on the front of the new fenders, replace the header panel, replace or cut the radiator core support to make it work, replace the hood, hinges and modify placement of the latch, then attach the other front end components.

I'm not sure if you can repeat this between a 3rd gen and a second gen explorer though, but you can do a 2nd gen to a ranger up to 05, and get a look much like the third gen Explorer. Some fiberglass companies also make conversion front ends, but those are flared out and usually are designed to resemble trophy truck stuff. Also, the quality isn't always great.

01 was second gen and the ranger sport and sport track did notchange in 02 like the 4 door

I'm not sure if you can repeat this between a 3rd gen and a second gen explorer though, but you can do a 2nd gen to a ranger up to 05, and get a look much like the third gen Explorer. Some fiberglass companies also make conversion front ends, but those are flared out and usually are designed to resemble trophy truck stuff. Also, the quality isn't always great.

i can fit a 05 ranger front end on it? awesome! i was just searching thru ranger headlights and saw 2005 style lights r one in the same for 2008s.. am i able to swap a 2008s on to mine or r the clamps different. what else can attach to the front end? did someone say a sport trac front end as well?

btw thx for replying everyone.

Here we go, no sport trac is going to fit without serious modifications, same for a 2002-now explorer. They have to be the same width. Up until 2001, the explorer and ranger were pretty much the same thing aside from 2-4 doors, bed no bed. You can always do Custom work and anything will fit. It just won't be as easy and may take a bit of skill.

Google ranger front end conversions. I don't know how many there are for explorers, but there are some detailed ones on the ranger station.

I know the 01 sport is second Gen but they look more like what he wants and will fit as far as a sport track clip a first Gen sport track clip will work its all the same platform yea u might have to make a few adjustments

Thx for responding. Ok I'm about to go to the junkyard. I just want to change the front end to something different. So from what everyone is saying and correct me if im wrong.. A ranger of similar years, a 2001 X sport, and a sport trac front end are all the same size ?

Back