• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer 4.0 ohv

Dnash80

Reaction score
City, State
festus, mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
I have a 98 explorer with a 4.0 ohv and i am having a world of issues. Bank 1 and 2 are to lean, and ive got a cylinder 4 misfire. I replaced coil, plugs and wires, and #4 injector and cleaned up the rest of the injectors and the fuel rail, new gaskets and o rings on intakes and all injectors. Ran good like real good when i replaced the injector, for 2 days then went back to the same old thing. When i hit 35mph it starts shaking and i have to let off the pedal then get back on it and it smooths out some but once im up to like 55-65mph, all hell breaks loose and its like the car is having a seizure. Well i left work the other day the oil pressure guage started acting up went real low then back to normal then jumped then once i got going it stayed in normal. Does anyone have any idea of what it is going on with this thing? i would appreciate the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello. If you are having the lean codes, you should check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Might not be getting enough fuel pressure. Having the misfire on the one cylinder, I would check compression or cylinder leak test to see if there is something wrong with that cylinder. Oil pressure might be unrelated to the other problems, but I would put a gauge on and see what it is reading. Hopefully it's just indicating incorrectly. Hope this helps, good luck.

Did you replace the upper plenum gaskets when you had the fuel rail out?

The o-rings between the upper and middle plenums tend to dry out and shrink, leading to vacuum leaks, lean codes, and a host of drivability problems.

I haven't put a gauge on anything yet but I will,
Some one told me could be my catalytic converter?
Doesn't make sense to me but I'm unsure. Yes I replaced all
The gaskets on both upper and lower intakes. Could the fuel
pump not be sending enough fuel causing the lack of pressure?

Yes I also replaced the plenum gasket between the fuel rail, it
all came in a set from advance auto parts

Well i know 02 sensors can cause a loss of power, surging, bucking a plugged cat could mabey cause lean a bank but i agree with checking fuel rail pressure if its good id do your injectors not just clean them. But i will say normally 02 sensors will throw a code. What codes are all coming up?

Back