• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer 4.0 SOHC rough idle

98Explorer2

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I just replaced the timing set on the engine and it has a rough idle. Runs perfect above 1,200 RPM's and drives great. I imagine a vacuum line broke or cracked during the removal of the engine? There is no CEL and I just replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. I have also replaced the PCV valve and it still has a rough idle.

Anyone have suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Iac?

try cleaning your Idle air control, and changing your fuel filter. I removed mine and soaked it in solvent, which loosened the deposits, then I sprayed the whole thing clean with MAF cleaner, let it dry, then reinstalled.

I will clean the IAC and see what happens with that... lets hope that fixes it!

What blows my mind is that it idled fine before the timing chain work, and now it has a rough idle. The explorer runs amazing above 2,000 RPM, but idling is another story...

It could be valves not seating properly or a valve was damaged during the timing chain repair. This usually shows up a low rpm misfire. I would do a compression check and see if a cylinder is low.

I can do a compression test as well... It sounds like it is coming from the passanger side.. I can hear it sucking, so I am not sold on this, but will check anyway

I will mention that when the timing chains were done, I never one turned the crank or camshaft and had them hit each other... everytime they moved smoothly without impacting etc

ok, so I tried cleaning the IAC valve, and it seemed to make a difference, but when I put it into gear it just does the same thing. I drove around for a while and it seemed to be getting better. Not sure what it is just yet or if it is fixed

Tried spraying brake cleaner around the vacuum lines, but it made no difference

Welcome to the club. I have the sucking sound as well; Can't seem to locate leak. Cleaned my IAC, not much change. I'm hoping when I do fuel filter, plugs and wires I have luck with it getting better. The SOHC is notorious for a rough idle, but the fact it occurred after a repair makes you thing it has to be something...

yeah... I am going to drive it this week, then on the weekend I am going to pull the intake manifold and check each vacuum tube to see if it holds a vacuum. what a PITA

All SOHC engines sound like they have a vacuum leak so I wouldn't go crazy about the sound unless you have codes or can find a vacuum leak.

mine idles like crap as well. I have done just about everything to remedy it, yet it still has a hiccup at idle.

Same here. I'm new to SOHC motors but it seems this idle issue can sometimes be caused by the pcv valve getting clogged or worn out. I haven't had a chance to look at mine yet since ford decided to dump the valve behind the intake manifold and it's hard to get to. I plan on taking a look at it this weekend.

Yeah, Ford really decided to make changing the pcv valve on these engines a real pita! It took me 10 mins just to find mine and that was after I was told where to look. To get the old one out (which appeared to be the original with 128K on it) I first removed the plastic engine cover, then disconnected the 2 small hoses that go from the valve to each side of the upper intake plenum. Next I pulled the plastic "T" fitting off the top the pcv valve and removed the "T" with the 2 hoses attached. There is a grey plastic clamp (it's hard to discribe, but it has teeth on it and kinda ratchets closed) the clamp holds the valve in a rubber hose and supports it. To release the clamp I pushed down on one side while pulling up on the other. The clamp remains in place after it's released. The pcv valve is attached to a rubber hose, which I assume goes into the back of the engine somewhere. Hold the hose and twist the pcv valve (like you would a stuck spark plug wire) to help release it from the rubber hose and then pull it upwards being careful not to pull the hose out from the engine. I suggest you get your new pcv valve from Ford (they're plastic) because the metal auto parts store valves tend to make noise and the plastic "T" fitting is very difficult to attach to the valve. Install in reverse order. It took me about 1 hour to do this the first time, but I think I could do it in under 15 mins now.

Back