• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

98 Explorer 5.0L Valve springs and rocker arms?

JoshT

Reaction score
City, State
Middle Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ranger
I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, but I'm not having too much luck finding the answers.

Have a stock 5.0L from a totaled 98 Explorer that ran well before I pulled it. Was going into an 86 Ranger, now it's going into a classic car I don't own yet. Likely mid-late 60s Ford, maybe a Mercury? Keeping the Explorer EFI and 4R70W, so working on converting EFI to standalone (PATS already solved).

Right now I have a running engine, will not be going further into the engine than valve covers and oil pan if necessary. Cam swap would be nice, but not going to happen.

I understand that these engines suffer from valve float due to weak springs. If I installed better valve springs with the stock cam and stock rockers would I see any improvements in performance? Would I be able to rev higher, or is the cam still limiting factor? If so is there any more power to be had there?

I am considering 1.7 roller rockers. If I'm doing my math right the Explorer cam will provide a valve lift of .474 (E) and .447 (I). Based on that, I'm thinking this spring kit will fit my needs with either rocker ratio:

Valve Spring Kit GT40P w/ stock cam and 1.6 or 1.7 ratio rockers up to .515" Lift Max Output 1TS Turbo Supercharged Nitrous

I've read about clearance issues with 1.7 roller rockers and stock valve covers when used with larger cams ("E" cam and aftermarket). Given the lower lift of the Explorer cam, is there still a clearance issue? I'm also thinking about swapping to aluminum Fox Body valve covers for the looks, not sure how those clear either.

Has anyone here personally used Proform rockers in a non-race or close to stock application? Results?

Not going to spend a lot on roller rockers (or springs, but Alex's has good reputation) for this engine. If I can find a used set of Scorpion or Crane rockers in similar price range I'll get them, but I'm not going to wait long, otherwise I'll go with Proform. I average around 16K miles per year total and about 13K of that is my daily driver. This engine probably won't see 4K miles per year all street driven, those rockers might see 20K miles before the engine gets replaced. If one grenades I'll just be building sooner.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L 2001 Explorer Sport valve cover gasket Under the Hood 0
C 2000 Explorer 4.0 Replace Fuel Pump Check Valve with Inline Check? Under the Hood 1
D 2007 Explorer EGR Valve location Under the Hood 0
S valve cover options for 5.0L explorer Under the Hood 3
C 5.0 or 4.6 2 valve to a 92 Ford Explorer Under the Hood 2
merijons04 Need help finding 95 explorer pressure limiting valve Under the Hood 0
H EGR Valve on 1992 Explorer Under the Hood 1
L Ford Explorer:Pressure control solenoid valve "A". Under the Hood 1
B 4.0 litre in an Explorer Needs New Valve Seals Under the Hood 1
P 96 explorer 4.0 Iac valve..should rpm get lower or higher? Under the Hood 0
N EGR Valve Pressure Sensor - 96 Explorer V8 Under the Hood 2
J 2001 explorer Sport AIC Valve(4L SOHC) Where? Under the Hood 1
F 1995 Explorer EGR Valve Issue Under the Hood 0
O IAC Valve - Hard Start on 2000 Explorer Under the Hood 4
C Where is the IAC Valve in 99 Explorer? Under the Hood 1
T 04 explorer Under the Hood 5
F ford explorer 2004 won't turn over Under the Hood 2
M 2004 explorer v8 throttle body upgrade Under the Hood 0
M 1996 Explorer 4.0 OHV Fuel Rail Spacer Under the Hood 6
TealSteel98 Bank 1 and 2 will not match fuel trims Explorer 5.0 swap Under the Hood 2
C 2014 PIU Explorer - Radiator Fans DOA Under the Hood 0
P CMP-1993 to 1995 ford explorer xlt 4 door Code X (Cam Position Sensor) Cam Synchronizer Replacement. Under the Hood 1
R Explorer Computer Clone Under the Hood 0
9 I need help specific to 99 explorer Eddie Bauer V6 only headlights not working Under the Hood 5
P Replacing cam position sensor on a 93-95 explorer 4.0L ohv,has anyone done one Under the Hood 24
Brem95 1997 Ford Explorer oil filter neck leak Under the Hood 0
D 98 ford explorer battery Under the Hood 3
C 2014 Explorer - Air Temp Sensor Under the Hood 3
S 02 explorer 4.6l Rich Codes bank 1, overheating, misfire history HELP!!! Under the Hood 0
P 1998 Ford Explorer 4.0L SOHC - No chipped key BS Under the Hood 0
D Explorer 4.0 engine noise lifters or timing chain Under the Hood 3
D 2013 Ford explorer won't start after new battery Under the Hood 0
T 04 Explorer won’t start! Help Under the Hood 0
U Compression test on 97 V8 explorer Under the Hood 0
A 2000 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC 2WD Codes p0171 P0174 Under the Hood 0
A 02 explorer 4.0 by coolant issue Under the Hood 3
G String of codes 5.0 explorer Under the Hood 4
M 2007 4.0 Explorer Water Pump Life Expectancy? Under the Hood 2
2 91-94 Explorer Air Intake options info needed Under the Hood 0
M 95 explorer rocker arm bolts Under the Hood 6
T 2003 Explorer 4.0....where does this line go? Under the Hood 5
C Explorer doesn't crank Under the Hood 2
R Will a o2 oxygen circuit from an 2012 fit05 ford explorer with 4.6 V8 4x4 Under the Hood 0
L 2014 explorer low oil pressure Under the Hood 0
A 1994 Explorer Knocking/Clacking affected by Coil #6 Under the Hood 5
T 2013 explorer leaking near rear driver tire Under the Hood 0
9 1991 Explorer Overheating with A/C Under the Hood 25
S 2007 Explorer Limited V6 Under the Hood 0
M 2005 ford explorer xlt sound coming from driver side engine Under the Hood 0
T 2002 Explorer Sport turning over but not starting Under the Hood 5