98 Explorer 5r55e to m5r1 electronics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer 5r55e to m5r1 electronics

sandrat84

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I'm getting ready to 5 speed swap my 98 Explorer 4.0 sohc. I understand the hard parts needed to do this but my questions lay with the electronics. Been reading for days and still confused. Can I simply use the five speed wiring harness and the OHV computer to trick my truck into running right or do I need a ranger sohc 5-speed computer? Or is there a company that does can do custom tune for the 4.0 sohc with a m5r1? Does the manual trans wiring just plug into my current factory wiring?
Thanks everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would stick with a SOHC PCM, and find the same year manual version for it. If that is not possible, than a re-flash might be.

There will be some pin out changes needed to the trans harness, if your not changing the engine harness. Depending on which make/year manual trans harness you have, the Rangers & Explorer Trans harness are different as well, and some modifications might be necessary.

What year M5OD and what t-case is going in, (if 4wd)?

Others might chime in with more details if they see this.

I found one in the same year explorer but with a 4.0 ohv. Using my manual 1354. I was going to grab the hard parts and electronics. From what i gathered ford didnt offer an sohc 5spd until 2001 with the Rangers. The ohv explorers are the ones that came 5spd

correct
First year of sohc in Ranger was 2001 (also the last year of the OHV was 2000)
Your 5 speed trans will not simply plug in, you will have to do some simple wiring. The auto transmissions have a DTRS which acts as the neutral safety switch for the computer/ignition.
These wires (NSS) will get modified since there is no more auto trans or DTRS you will need to loop the NSS signal back to the truck where it will then go to the clutch pedal 3 position switch. This way depressing the clutch pedal is the same as being in Neautral. This allows the starter to turn, the 4x4 to allow shift into LOW and the cruise control will shut down if the clutch is pressed (just like if you shift into N)
I would plan to have your computer tuned to remove the auto trans functions, this is the best way. Otherwise you will need a ranger pcm for a sohc and 5 speed along with the PATS security key and computer (2001-2011 Ranger). The problem with this is not only finding all the correct parts and the keys together but also the PATS system changed in 2002 (I think) making it even more difficult to swap into your 98
That OHV computer MIGHT run your truck okay with the 5 speed but you would also need the PATS key and PATS computer to swap in or it wont run.

I found a company who can tune the auto out. So all I really need is to find the way to wire the mss, correct? I have a manual t case already in the truck

NSS neutral safety sensor

Yes
Usually the wires to and from the auto are red/blue and return is pink
If you have the manual trans and wiring harness take a look at it (cut it open) you can see the NSS wires simply loop back to the truck
Then your 98 should have a 3 position clutch pedal wiring loom that is plugged up right now, remove the plug and you should be able to plug in the new clutch switch = you are good to go.
So your homework is to get the wiring digrams for a 98 auto trans and compare to the manual trans, then build a map of what need to happen.
Or research online and see how others have done it.
Then it will make sense in your head.

As asked earlier:
what year is the donor 5 speed? did you get the 5 speed wiring harness? If these parts are from a 98-01 they might just plug and play

I am looking at a 98 donor for my 98 auto

Does the plate between the engine and trans interchange between sohc and ohv? Also are the auto and manual crossmember the same?
Found my answer to this .

Back