98 Explorer AWD, No Forward Gears | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer AWD, No Forward Gears

Mike7468

Reaction score
City, State
Akron, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
Son in law driving vehicle a few weeks ago the vehicle didn't have any reverse gear. Now I have reverse gear but no forward. When i shift into drive it just acts as if its in neutral. I've searched the forums gone about ten pages back and haven't found anything like this. Other than the obvious of checking lines for leaks, low fluid what else should i possibly be looking for? Hopefully this weekend I can start getting into it. Just trying to get pointed in the right direction. I believe its the 4R70W transmission. Thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes a 98 v8 explorer uses a 5.0 engine and a 4r70w auto transmission
How many miles on the truck?
How did the fluid level check go?

It could be transmission or transfer case related, although with no forward gears but you have reverse normally points to the transmission
Odd that before you had forward gears but no reverse

Is the OD light flashing?
Is the check engine light on?

I think it has over 200,000 i'd have to double check i'm going off the title that i have in my wallet. He said he had added four quarts a week or two ago I added a quart yesterday and it still looked like it was barely touching the dipstick. It says its a 13 quart capacity so I'm hoping an expansive leak. But to go from no reverse to no forward. I'm confused!
It doesn't even sound like its engaging into a drive gear.
No lights are on whatsover. I have a launch scanner that i hooked up to it and it shows nothing except an EVAP leak.
Thanks.

whoa whoa whoa added 4 quarts? that is a major issue
Hope you guys are adding mercon V only and he knows how to check the level? at temp, in park while running
You can lose all gears just being down 2 quarts or so, having to add 4 quarts, a leak should be pretty obvious at that point

The 4R70W is known for forward clutch failure, the drum breaks, the clutches fail, burn and sometimes weld themselves together. so there is a good bet this is what you are dealing with.

The reason you lost reverse first is because when the forward clutch was failing it welded some of the clutches plates together, when this happens every gear including neutral, park and reverse is wanting to pull forward. You never lost reverse it was in a bind with forward and wouldn't move, then the forward clutch broke free and completely failed and you lost drive and reverse returned.

How did the fluid look? Did the Linkages get checked? How does fluid smell, with that much fluid loss and the potential for that much damage the fluid should look very dark and smell burned, at 2 quarts you will have major slipping and gear loss much less 4, also has the rear end been checked? pull diff cover and have a look. Had a tahoe brough to me not long ago, lady went to the store and when she went to leave it would not move said it just revved up. Had it towed here, i got in it and after checking all the fluids everything looked fine, when i tried to move it same thing would not move, so i got my tractor and pulled it about 10 feet and felt a quick tug, got in it and boom it worked but only about 20 feet and awfull noise came from rear end. Turned out she had a major seal leak ran all the fluid out when she stopped it "locked" up the rear end. Between me and the tow truck broke it loose again. So check the rear end as well. Being all wheel drive the front may not see that the rear is slipping as it is not moving at all so it is not engaging the front shaft to move off of front wheel drive. Just food for thought hope this helps! best of luck and let us know what happens!

Back