98 Explorer AWD transmission tail shaft diisassembly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer AWD transmission tail shaft diisassembly

jaktomas1

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
My 98 Explorer was leaking transmission fluid into the transfer case. I replaced the seal and gasket between the transmission and the transfer case. That fixed, I'm now able to see that the gasket between the transmission body and the "spacer" or intermediate section that bolts to the transfer case is also leaking. My question is this: Once the transfer case is removed, what is involved in replacing the intermediate gasket? Is there any type of carrier or other seals that I need to be aware of before I begin disassembly?
Thanks in advance

jaktomas1@hotmail.com

Hey, I am just curious if you have made any headway on your leak. I found a leak where the t case and tranny meet up. I plan on taking the pull apart and see what is broken and fix it route. What all seals and gaskets did you replace and have you had any luck this far?

Once you have the tranny out the seal replacement is pretty straight forward. On mine there is a simple gasket between the transfer case to tranny adaptor, a gasket between the tranny and transfer case to tranny adaptor. and a shaft seal for the tranny output shaft. Also there is a shaft seal on the transfer input shaft. All simple to access once the transfer and tranny are out. I advise replacing the tranny input seal while you have the tranny out, saves another disassembly later.

Back