98 explorer blower stuck on high | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer blower stuck on high

Donnymo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford exporer
Hello. New member here. Decided to post my own question since I can't seem to find a precise answer. I have a 1998 explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 v6 sohc. The a/c blower had started working only on high and when I tried to lower the speed it would switch off. When I switched the speed back up it would go straight to high again. Also, when switching the speed lower, i could hear a click coming from under the passenger side dash. I read up on this matter including posts on this site and the consensus seemed to be the problem was with the blower motor controller/resistor. I purchased a new one and replaced it. Worked fine with all the intermittent speeds. A couple days later the blower started blowing on only high and will not even turn off now. No more clicking under dash either. So I'm wondering, is the new controller I bought just another bad one? Or is there a problem with the motor itself? The blower relay? Or blower switch?

sounds like the motor itself is drawing too many amps causing the resistor to melt..

when it melts it goes into a kinda of "limp mode" and gives the motor a straight 12 volts.

i would replace the motor and the resistor...

good luck

sounds like the motor itself is drawing too many amps causing the resistor to melt..

when it melts it goes into a kinda of "limp mode" and gives the motor a straight 12 volts.

i would replace the motor and the resistor...

good luck

I agree. I had a car with the same issue. The solution was the same.

Replaced the resistor again along with a new blower motor. Seems to have done the trick. Been working fine for a couple months now. So far so good.

Back