• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer exhaust questions

baxgordum

Reaction score
City, State
Latrobe PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Hey everyone, i have a few questions and was curious about and if anyone could give me some answers it would be greatly appreciated!

I have a 98 ex 4.0 and my buddy has a flowmaster 40 series he was just gonna give to me. he had it on his truck for 2 weeks and didnt like it, so hes just giving it to me. However, my ex's exhaust is the style that at the muffler its dual inlet and single out. The flowmaster is single inlet dual outlet.

So my questions are 1: could i just flip the flowmaster backwards and use it that way? ive heard some mufflers are reversable..

2: if not should i buy two y-pipes and y the two inlets together then y-pipe the dual outlets into a single pipe?

3: he said i could even weld a cap on one of the outlets if i had to, but that sounds kind of wierd to me.

any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. i have no clue to as how this should be done because i know next to nothing about exhaust systems. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you cant reverse a flowmaster. it sounds like it may be cheaper to just buy a different muffler. there are a couple threads that cover what mufflers will work

you cant reverse a flowmaster. it sounds like it may be cheaper to just buy a different muffler. there are a couple threads that cover what mufflers will work

yeah thats what i figured.

do you know anything about capping one of the ends?

and if i do buy something else, im thinking about buying a thrush turbo. they are way cheaper than a flowmaster. ever heard anything about those?

i got single & dual out 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport

i got single & dual out 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport

is it single in and dual out? does your explorer have dual exhausts on it? because as ive mentioned above my setup is wierd. (why ford made it teo inlet 1 outlet is beyond me..) but yeah. the muffler i want to put on it backwards for my setup. the muffler has 1 inlet dual outlet but my ex in dual inlet 1 outlet

Back